AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sorting quadrants for collated printing

Question asked by JustinWhite on May 6, 2012
Latest reply on May 8, 2012 by JustinWhite

Title

Sorting quadrants for collated printing

Hello Gurus,

I use FM to create name cards for people.  They are formatted to have 4 "index cards" per page however when I print them I sort them in an order, within excel, so that when they are printed I do not have to resort the cards into alpha order.  For example, if I have 16 names I take the first 4 names and assign them a 1, 5, 9, 13, the next 4 2, 6, 10, 14 and so on.  I then sort that column in ascending order so that when they are printed I only have to stack the 4 groups together instead of having to touch each card to put in order.  This doesn't matter for 16 names but when I have 1500 that can take a long time. 

Is there any way in FM that I could create a calculation field named 'Print Order' that would automatically assign these numbers based off of the total number of people that i've imported?

Any guidance would be awesome.  It doesn't take that long in excel to do this sorting however I think FM could probably do this.  My goal is to import the data I am sent right away into FM and let FM do the formatting upfront instead of me doing it in excel then importing into FM.  I have FM 9 btw.

Thanks again,

JW

Outcomes