2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2008 10:30 AM by raybaudi

Sorting Records...

BP

Title

Sorting Records...

Okay, I have records that are based on Scene numbers and set ups. For example:

1, 1A, 1B, 2, 2A, 2B, 2C, etc. through 100, 100A, 100B, 100C, 100D...

We don't shoot the scenes in script order, but when I'm done... I want to sort the records like I've listed above. When I merge all my files and sort by Scene Number... The 100s come before the 10s, and before the 1s... it's wacky?

So I get something like 100, 104, 100A, 100B, 116, 16, 16A, 1, 2, etc.

Do I need a script?

AND... is there a way to simply "move" a record into a position I want, rather than sorting. Say, I've got the records sorted like I want, but now I want to just move one record into a different position back a few, or forward a few... (does that make sense?) Is there a way to do that?

(Thank you!!!) 

• 1. Re: Sorting Records...
          ttumbles

BP,

It is annoying but I believe (and I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong) but sorting text first looks at the length of the value to be sorted by and then by it's value.

So, if you had 001, 010,, 01c, 100, 1000a, etc.   instead of 1, 1a, 2a, 10c, etc. youi'd get the sort to end up the way you wanted it to.

Does thi smake sense???

Hope it helps. 

• 2. Re: Sorting Records...
            raybaudi

Hi BP

this problem is easily solved by creating a new calculation field with calc:

Right ( "0000000000" & Filter ( Scene numbers ; 1234567890 ) ; 10 ) & Right ( Scene numbers ; 1 )

and sorting by that new field.