5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 6:43 PM by CountryBoy1

Sorting Related Tables

CountryBoy1

Title

Sorting Related Tables

When a Table A is sorted using FIND, is there any

way to also have other related tables show just the

same Index records as Table A ?  The other tables do

not have all of the fields for the FIND sort as does Table A.

There are only 2 other related tables.  Would it be possible

to created duplicate empty tables for the other 2 tables and

fill them only with the records that have the Index values of

Table A ?  Using Filemaker Pro 9 Advanced.

Thanks for your help.  CountryBoy1

• 1. Re: Sorting Related Tables
          mrvodka
             ?? Please use real names instead of abstract names. I have no idea what you mean by a find sort.
          • 2. Re: Sorting Related Tables
            etripoli
               Almost sounds like you're using different layouts, based on on different tables, and you want to see the related fields in the same sort order when you move between layouts.  You'll need a script, with the Go To Related Records and Sort commands, to move between the layouts and have them sorted.
            • 3. Re: Sorting Related Tables
              CountryBoy1

Dear Etropoli:

Yes, each table (layout view) is a separate table but they are related through the Index number.   Some of the

fields used to do the FIND sort in Table A don't exist in the other tables. I suppose I could duplicate the fields

used in Table A into the other related tables.  Then they would have the same fields and I could do a FIND mode

sort for each table.  However I don't want to do that.  It seems like there ought to be some way that the found
               records in one table can cause only the same related records to appear in a related table.

Not sure I understand your technique but will try it as my schedule allows.  Thanks for your help. CountryBoy1

• 4. Re: Sorting Related Tables
                etripoli
                   If you use a button with a single find command or script associated with it (to do the find & sort), you can perform finds & sorts based on fields in related tables that don't have fields on the current layout. 
                • 5. Re: Sorting Related Tables
                  CountryBoy1

Dear Etripoli:

Finally got back to my programming.  Tried the "Go to Related Record" function (which I had never used before) and

was able to get the related records from other tables.  Quite pleased.  However I have three windows open, each

with a different table/layout .  I was hoping that the related records from the other two tables would appear back

in their own window but it uses the current window (the table that has the FIND sort), and changes the table/layout

to show the related records.  So to see all three tables with related records, I tell the function to open a new window

when it is called for each related table.

I have marked your suggestion as the solution.   Thanks much. CountryBoy1