3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 10:54 AM by cdubbya

Sorting repeating field - adapted Music Library template

cdubbya

Title

Sorting repeating field - adapted Music Library template

So, I'm using parts of the Music Library solution.  Let's say: 

I have 40 gizmos (substituting the Album Title for the Gizmo Title)

Each gizmo is changed or revised every week - Rev A, Rev B, Rev C, Rev D, Rev E, Rev F. 

Someone will review the gizmos each week, and give each gizmo a star rating 1-5

So, I have the star rating as a repeating field for the six Revs 

However, 

Not all 10 gizmos get reviewed each week. So in the fourth week, I could have a scenario like this: 

Title       RevA  RevB  RevC  RevD

Gizmo1  | ***  | **   |  *   |   *  |

Gizmo2  | **    | **   |      |       | 

Gizmo3  | ***  |*****|      |       | 

I have a field,  CurrentRating which uses Last(star rating)   for each Gizmo.  Based on the data above, in the fourth week:

Gizmo 1 would have a Current star rating of * 

Gizmo 2 would have a Current star rating of **

Gizmo 3 would have a Current star rating of *****

Using the 'Record List' layout, the CurrentRating field does display the correct data, but when I click the sort field at the top, it doesn't sort correctly.  

If you've worked with this starter solution, could you please help?   

I guess what I'm really asking is:

The script that sorts the records for Rating goes like this:

If [Music Library::g_Sortby = 'rating1"]  

Set Music Library::g_Sortby = 'rating2"]   

Where do 'rating1' and rating2' come from?  How can i get these to work on my CurrentRating field, which looks up Last (Repeating Field)  

• 1. Re: Sorting repeating field - adapted Music Library template
          TSGal

Qappl:

Thank you for your post.

Looking over the Music Library quickly, I don't see any repeating fields, so you may have added that.  A repeating field is a single field that holds many values.  When you sort by a repeating field, only the first repeating value is used.

"rating1" and "rating2" come from the global field g_Sortby.  If it is blank the first time, the ELSE portion of the script sets the value.

Yes, you can also set this up for your CurrentRating field.  Just model a script after the SortTitle script, and attach a button to the column heading that executes the script.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Sorting repeating field - adapted Music Library template
            comment_1

TSGal wrote:
            Looking over the Music Library quickly, I don't see any repeating fields

I am guessing Qappl is using version 9 or lower. Many (perhaps all) templates used repeating fields instead of a related table, causing endless frustration among beginners.

• 3. Re: Sorting repeating field - adapted Music Library template
              cdubbya

GREAT SUCCESS!!   I see where I was going wrong now.  Where you said "rating1" and "rating2" were determined by the ELSE statement in the script was the spark.  Basically, I thought I had set up my CurrentRating script the same... but I didn't see that rating2 could have the attribute of other field sorts within that same list view.  When I changed that, it all worked.  Thanks a bunch!  Now I won't get fired.  

Maybe.  

Aaaah, who cares? ; ) 

BTW, using FMP 10.  

Thanks again.