4 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2013 12:50 PM by JoanneGoldberg

SOS - Set a password - can't get into FMP12

JoanneGoldberg

Title

SOS - Set a password - can't get into FMP12

I'm new to FMP12, just set a password (and wrote it down--did not forget it, quite sure I have it correctly) and when the password box comes up upon booting up FMP12, it doesn't work so I can't get into the program to change the password (which I mistakenly thought was for the file, not the program). 

In an earlier post, someone advised to enter Admin with no password--I tried that and it didn't work.  I don't mind recreating the database but I can't get into the program at all.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: SOS - Set a password - can't get into FMP12
          ninja

The Filemaker PROGRAM does not have a password.

The FILE has a password (if you set one up).

Note that there is an Account Name and Password set...both must be correct to get into the file.

"Correct" is defined by an existing account in that file with that password attached to it.

Check Case Sensitivity...did you have CAPS LOCK on when you set the password?

• 2. Re: SOS - Set a password - can't get into FMP12
            JoanneGoldberg

Thanks for your reply.  Problem in getting into the program was on my end (sorry to bother you with that) but re: the file, I didn't have caps lock when I typed the password and just to be sure, I just tried to open it with CAPS LOCK and it didn't work, so that's not the problem.   Account name came up with the file open box.   Is it your best guess that I typed something wrong when I entered the password itself?  If so, I guess I can't recover the file, would that be right?

• 3. Re: SOS - Set a password - can't get into FMP12
              ninja

The USERNAME came up with the file open box.  This may or may not be the same as the account name you set up.

The only things you have left are trying variations with account name and password, or starting from scratch a little wiser.

FWIW, most of us got wiser that same way...I feel your frustration.

...or hacking it, but we won't go there...

• 4. Re: SOS - Set a password - can't get into FMP12
                JoanneGoldberg

Once again, my thanks for your reply.  It was the distinction between the USERNAME and account name that confused me and I'm all set.  And thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one who ever had a problem with this.  As for the hacking, you can go there but it would be a pretty bumpy ride for me <g>.  You're great, Ninja--thanks for all your help!