2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2013 2:53 PM by braxton

Special record randomizing condition

braxton

Title

Special record randomizing condition

I'm using FMpro 10.  I am making a file for flashcards to export as a PDF to use on my iPhone.  I've numbered the records in the order 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b,......na,nb where side a = question and side b = answer.

I would love to be able to randomize a found set of records where records "na" and "nb" are always together.  For example, they would be in the order 4a, 4b, 12a, 12b, 7a, 7b, etc...  It would be even cooler to be able to have b come before a and keep them together.

I know a scrip would be involved but I can think of a way to do this.  Any help would be appreciated.  Right now I am using a power PC without the Intel chip and can't upgrade to FM12 with FM Go or I would be doing an entirely different setup.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Special record randomizing condition
          philmodjunk

If these are math flash cards, I'd delete the a records, replacing them with a calculation field in a that computes the answer. If these are not math records, I'd replace the a records with a text field in b that shoes the answer.

To randomize a found set of records:

#Bring up a found set of records to randomize. You might perform a find here or use Show All Records
               Replace Field Contents [no dialog; YourTable::Order ; Random ]
               Sort Records [Restore ; no dialog ] ---> sort on YourTable::Order

• 2. Re: Special record randomizing condition
            braxton

Thanks Phil.  I've rethought it and for the PDF exports the page will be twice as long.  On the iPhone I can just flick my finger to see the answer below by scrolling then tap to the next page.  This works great with PDF Expert but not he Apple reader.

Now that I have the answer and question in one field it makes more sense.  Thanks for the randomizing script.