4 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2010 7:22 AM by mrvodka

Specific Find Script

dg3321

Title

Specific Find Script

If i have a number of fields in a layout that have similar data (i.e. Name1, Name2, Name 3 etc), and i want to search each time a certain name was entered into one of these fields, how do i set that up in a script?  I originally set it up as field 1 or field 2 or field 3 = "John", but that didn't work.  Any ideas?

I'm working on filemakerpro 11

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Specific Find Script
          aammondd

Do you want to find a record that has it in any of the fields?

If so you can try

Enter Find Mode

Set Field [Field1;searchstring]

New/ Record Request

Set Field [Field2; Searchstring]

New/Record  Rquest

Set Field [Field3; Searchstring

Perform Find

• 2. Re: Specific Find Script
            mrvodka

Also, typically when dealing with a structure where you have like fields such as Name1, Name2, Name3 is indicative of poor structure. Instead you should use a related table with each name being its own record.

• 3. Re: Specific Find Script
              dg3321

Ok.  How would i go about setting that up?  Do i need to use a portal?  I've had trouble getting the hang of 'related fields' and 'portals'.  Would you be able to refer me to any good guides or tutorials in order to set that up? I kind of knew that my structure wasn't quite right, yet i just haven't been able to figure out the portals/related fields.

thanks in advance for your help.  it is greatly appreciated!

• 4. Re: Specific Find Script
                mrvodka

The initial tutorials / guides that come with the system and the documentation from the website shoudl be a good start. Picking up a book such as the Missing Manual would help as well.

You will also want to read up about data normalization.

Once you have those in a seperate related table, you should be able to find things easier.