6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 2:22 PM by C.Sp.

specify source file

C.Sp.

Title

specify source file

I am using the script step: Insert File, Specify source file

I am a MAC user. I did a "Find" in MAC to identify the path to open the file

I typed in the path that the "Find" spelled out in the Specify source file window.

I cannot get it to open even the first step of my path.

There must be a trick that I do not know about.

Picture_1.png

• 1. Re: specify source file
          philmodjunk

With the specify source file window open, click the Add File button, find and select the file you want inserted.

• 2. Re: specify source file
            C.Sp.

I cannot choose the file. The "open" button within the Insert File window is grayed out. I also tried several other folders and it seems that I cannot choose anything.

this is a just a folder on my hard drive.

• 3. Re: specify source file
              philmodjunk

Are you using Insert File in a script or from the Insert Menu?

If you want to use the insert File option from the File Menu, enter browse mode, click or tab into a field of type container first. If you are using the script step for this action, you have specify a field of type container.

• 4. Re: specify source file
                C.Sp.

this is a script to allow me to insert a pdf into a container field. I want filemaker to open up the folder on my hard drive so that I can choose the pdf to insert into the container.

I added a screen shot to the initial post

• 5. Re: specify source file
                  philmodjunk

Unfortunately, you can't specify a folder in Insert File. You can leave this parameter blank ( Insert File ( Reference ; MedicalExpeses::ImageA )  ) so that the user can use the open file dialog to find and insert the desired file.

Or you can specify a specific file in the Specify File dialog and it will be inserted without bring up a dialog box where the user can select the file. (If you check all the example formats for referring to a file, all of them end in "filename".)

There are File manipulation plug ins you can web search for if you want to check for ways that might allow you to specify a folder location for your script.

• 6. Re: specify source file
                    C.Sp.

thank you.