4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 4:47 PM by philmodjunk

Specifying a found set (to FIND)

R12GS

Title

Specifying a found set (to FIND)

Hello,

I would like to "find" a found set based on data from a .csv document.    Recotds have a field named "Contact ID".

I want to get a found set of contact IDs: 3454, 3455, 3899, and 4456.

Can I put a set of data such as '3454, 3455, 3899, and 4456' into a field and then "FIND" just those 4 discrete records? 

Thanks!

Tom 

• 1. Re: Specifying a found set (to FIND)
          philmodjunk

There's a neat trick using a text field and a relationship that can do exactly that for you:

1) Define a text field: IDList

2) Load the text field with your list of ID numbers separated by carriage returns (There are many ways to do this both manually, via script or through a calculation.)

3) create a relationship linking the text field to your ID number field.

Now you can pull up your related set of records 2 ways:

1) create a portal that references the above layout

2) Create a script that uses go to related record to pull up a found set of your records (Beware the layout specification issue with this step!)

Been using this trick in various forms for years....

• 2. Re: Specifying a found set (to FIND)
            R12GS

Hello, this sounds pretty good.  Pretty sure I can make it work but here is what I'm trying to do,

I am trying to open a found set of a bunch of records; (thousands).  If I have a file (.xls or .fp7) and export a .csv of "Contact ID"s, I'd like to paste that csv list into a field, and then use a function (or a script) to open all of those records in one found set.  I'd need to create this <CR> separated text string somehow.

Can I edit "find/replace" all the commas (replace with <carriage returns>) in that field?

• 3. Re: Specifying a found set (to FIND)
              Jade

Hi R12GS,

If I'm not mistaken, Orlando had a scripting solution to a very similar question.  The post is here:

http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=7777 

• 4. Re: Specifying a found set (to FIND)
                philmodjunk

If you'd rather "build your own" investigate FMP's rich set of text manipulation functions.

For example, you can use the substitute function in either a looping script or a replace operation to turn commas into carriage returns. When you need to include a carriage return in an expression, use the paragraph symbol (looks a little like a capital 'P') enclosed in quotations marks.