AnsweredAssumed Answered

Specifying EXACT field format

Question asked by Atkins on Dec 13, 2012
Latest reply on May 16, 2013 by Atkins

Title

Specifying EXACT field format

Hi,

I have a field in my database for the MAC Address of a piece of equipment.  MAC Addresses can be formatted many different ways, but the format we have decided on is XX.XX.XX.XX.XX.XX where the X's represent capital letters, A - F, or numbers, 0 - 9.

If a user were to manually enter a MAC Address, they may input it as so:  XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX, or possibly:  xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx

It is also possible, for someone with no experience, that they may mistake a 0 for an O, and try to use that, but O's do not exist in MAC Addresses.

We also use a bar code scanner when possible, and the common read-out for that is XXXXXXXXXXXX with no seperators.

The Question:  I'm curious if there's a way to limit the field to only accept the correct format and characters, or to run a conversion script on entry that will validate what the user has entered.

•           If they use lowercase letters, it will convert them to uppercase.
  •      
  •           If they don't use seperators it will add them in.
  •      
  •           If they use hyphens it will convert them to periods.
  •      
  •           If they use a character that is not valid it will prompt them to re-enter the address.

I realize that this will require some complex scripting to cover all the bases, but that's why I'm at the forum.  This is a feature that you would commonly see on other entry forms, but I don't know if it's something FileMaker necessarily supports.  Thanks for any input and assistance!

Outcomes