1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2013 9:24 AM by marksealey

Speed and size on FM Server

marksealey

Title

Speed and size on FM Server

I have a file that's going to grow fast with the regular inclusion/addition of PDFs… in Container fields.

When I move it to our dedicated FM Server any day now, would I be better to use the Referencing technique for accessing these PDFs?

Or is FMP 12fast enough on the server for queries etc not to be delayed?

TIA!

• 1. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
          philmodjunk

Please note that whether you store data externally, by reference or embed it, your server still has to send the same image data over the net to your client machines. Many queries won't be affected one way or another. Much depends on the design of your database.

But I would investigate setting up external storage on your hosted database. That can be much simpler than storing images by "reference" while also serving to reduce the size of your overall file.

• 2. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
            marksealey

Thanks, Phil…

It's (going to be) a local server on our network.

By 'external storage' do you mean this?

How does that differ from By Reference?

• 3. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
              philmodjunk

Yes, that's what I mean. It's basically a more sophisticated method of storing by reference, but when you insert files into a field with external storage specified, you DO NOT select the "store a reference" option.

The advantage to using external storage is that it simplifies your client system's ability to show the file in the container field. With "Store a reference" used, you need to insert all of your files from a shared directory on the server. Then all client machines have to mount/map this shared directory in exactly the same way. Otherwise, you get a "file not found" text in the container field. This can be a real challenge when you have Mac and windows clients on the same network as they don't map/mount a shared folder with identical file paths.

It also requires moving new files to the shared directory before inserting them into the container field. This is something that can be scripted, but you don't need the script with external storage.

And then there's a security risk if you allow your users to insert new files into such a "by reference" container field. To do that means that your user has "write access" permission to the shared folder. A mistake by one of your users or get a "disgruntled employee" situation and any user with that access might delete all the files from the shared directory.

External storage avoids those issues.

• 4. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                marksealey

Thanks, Phil; that's very helpful.

So if I use External Storage I set the Base Directory once (via Manage > *) ; and forget it?

Do I set a path to 'Manage > Containers…' or 'Manage > External Data Sources…' ?

• 5. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                  philmodjunk

So if I use External Storage I set the Base Directory once (via Manage > *) ; and forget it?

Pretty much, though you'll want to keep an eye on your hard drive capacity as your database grows and more and more files are added to the external storage location that you specify for the container field.

Do I set a path to 'Manage > Containers…' or 'Manage > External Data Sources…' ?

Huh? neither would be part of this set up. You specify external storage as a field option for the container field from Manage | Database | Fields.

• 6. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                    davidanders

Network Hardware Note

A network is as fast as it's slowest hardware - a switch or router that is 10/100 will slow the network even if all other elements are 10/100/1000.

A server will slow depending on the number of users, the processor speed, the storage device speed, and number of processes running.

An SSD will offer data much faster than a spinning hard drive, but the data transmission is throttled by the server bus speed, and processor.
                         An internal harddrive is almost always faster than an external drive.

There are groups and forums focused on Filemaker Optimization.

• 7. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                      marksealey

Phil,

So I hard code a string for the full path into the Storage Tab of the filed(s) in question?

That document says use File > Manage > Containers.

I can imagine File > Manage > External Data Sources… making just as much sense.

• 8. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                        marksealey

Thanks, David; all noted. Yes

• 9. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                          philmodjunk

Interesting what you learn when you read the help file.wink

I had to go back and experiment with the field options dialog to see what was what. If you choose to set up Secure Storage, it appears that you have to use Manage | containers to specify a different location for the file. If you choose to use open storage, you can set it all up in Field Options... Either way you have to enter the file path by hand though you can specify a calculation when using open storage.

• 10. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                            marksealey

I suspect (it's an entirely internal database of non-sensitive material) Open storage is good enough for us.

In which case the Field Options will work, won't it?

Do you have an example of such a Calculation please: I'm on a Mac but our network is Novell?

• 11. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                              philmodjunk

I don't know that you need a calculation. I mentioned it as an option that you can use with open storage that you can't use with secure.

I suggest setting up a small test database on your server with a container field or two and experimenting...

• 12. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                                marksealey

I see. Yes; I'm planning to do that. Thanks again!

• 13. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                                  marksealey

Must the external location actually be on the (same) FileMaker server?

• 14. Re: Speed and size on FM Server
                                    philmodjunk

That is probably correct, but I don't know for sure. We haven't upgraded to FMP 12 here so we are not yet using a version that supports this option.

1 2 Previous Next