3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2010 9:57 AM by TSGal

Speed:  IWP versus remote fmapp

DLW-BPEX

Title

Speed:  IWP versus remote fmapp

We are developing a solution for both IWP and remote FM access. So far there seems to be a dramatic difference in script execution, Google Charts drawing, etc. But surprisingly, it is IWP that is considerably faster, and I would have expected the opposite. Same server, same setup all around.

Anyone have such experience with a similar setup? Aware of any particular design issues that may affect this?

FWIW, our most noticeably different script/chart speeds involve calling Google Charts.

Thank you.

David 

• 1. Re: Speed:  IWP versus remote fmapp
          TSGal

DLW-BPEX:

Thank you for your post.

How are you calling Google Charts?  Is it with an Open URL script step?  Is it in a Web Viewer?  If you are using Open URL script step, then FileMaker Pro has to open a browser to display the information.  With Instant Web Publishing, the browser is already opened.

Can you provide a little more detail so I can test it out?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Speed:  IWP versus remote fmapp
            DLW-BPEX

TSGal,

Thank you for replying.

Each of the several Google chart calls is via Web viewer. However, it doesn't seem to be only chart drawing that shows a speed difference. Script execution and overall updating of records seems more sluggish with fmapp.

David

Solution developed/tested under Mac OS X  0.6.2 and Win XP Pro.

IWP running under Safari and Firefox. 

• 3. Re: Speed:  IWP versus remote fmapp
              TSGal

DLW-BPEX:

If you have a Web viewer on the layout, then script execution involving that layout may take some time as it renders the web page for each record as explained in my earlier post.  You may want to consider in the script switching to a different layout that does not include the Web viewer.  This would speed up processing.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.