1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 6, 2011 12:11 PM by philmodjunk

Split field data?

TXCiclista

Title

Split field data?

I have a field that has data that would be more useful if split into other fields. For example:

HighSchool Everman
      JuniorHigh Fort Worth
      MiddleSchool Burleson

and so on. The first word is the type and is almost always a single word. The second is a location and can be one or more words. I would like a "Type" field and a "Location" field.

Also, there are some fields with only the type, and no location (e.g. "CentralAdministration"). I would assume these won't throw things off, I'll just have a blank in the location field.

I don't seem to be smart enough to figure this out on my own ;) 

• 1. Re: Split field data?
          philmodjunk

"Almost" is the term that keeps any automated fix from working perfectly as anything we set up will work correctly "almost" all the time.

Is this to be a one time fix that moves data in an existing field into another field or something that you will need to do on a regular basis?

You can use the leftwords, wordcount and rightwords functions to extract text from this field on a word basis, but given that "almost", anything I suggest will work almost all of the time as there is no way from the info you have posted to know whether a given "type" portion of the text is one word or two.