5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 4:56 PM by anode505

Split view?

anode505

Title

Split view?

In Bento there is an option to see a table view and form view on same 'page'  Can this be doe in FMP10?  Its nice to scroll through a found set in a table then select and see th details in a form all on the same page.

• 1. Re: Split view?
          etripoli
             In Table view, you can turn on the headers and footers (Layouts -> Layout Setup... -> Views -> Properties...), and place fields in the header/footer, that will show related information for the currently selected record.  I don't use Bento, so I'm not sure if this will be similar.
          • 2. Re: Split view?
            philmodjunk
               You might also be able to use a portal for this. Your portal can list a series records and fields in the rest of the layout can be set up to show data from a selected portal row.
            • 3. Re: Split view?
              anode505

Cool.  I think the portal idea might fit best.

Thanks 

• 4. Re: Split view?
                philmodjunk

Here's a simple outline of this method. Your database design may require modifying things a bit to fit your needs and database structure, but hopefully this will get you pointed in the right direction.

Let's use just one table and two self joins--one for the portal and one for the "detail" fields of the selected portal row:

Table: Fruit

ID    Name    Variety

1     Apple    Granny Smith

2     Apple    Gravenstein

3     Apple    Arkansas Black

4     Apricot  Patterson

5     Apricot  Tilton

Define one global number field: gFruitID

Two new table occurrences of this table: AllFruit, SelectedFruit

Relationships: 

Fruit :: ID x AllFruit :: ID  // Select the "x" operator instead of the default = operator in the relationship so that all records match

Fruit :: gFruitID = SelectedFruit :: ID

Create a blank form type layout based on Fruit

Base the Portal on AllFruit, put field AllFruit :: Variety in the portal

Put SelectedFruit :: Name and SelectedFruit :: ID on your layout (not in the portal).

Write a script:

Set Field [ Fruit :: gFruitID ; AllFruit :: ID ]

Commit Record

Use button setup... to make AllFruit :: Variety in the portal a button that performs this script.

Give AllFruit :: Variety a conditional format: AllFruit :: ID =  Fruit :: gFruitID and select a fill color to highlight the field when that portal row is clicked.

Now, enter browse mode and test. When you click a portal row, you should see the row change color and the other two fields in that record appear in the layout.

• 5. Re: Split view?
                  anode505

PhilModJunk, Thanks!

I'll need to digest this when I get home.  Been on da road this whole week.

Tweaking the Db to fit won't be an issue, its all in exporation phase.  (I'm figuring 2-3 iterations of the DB)