1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 29, 2013 12:51 PM by philmodjunk

Splitting a record into two records

Tod

Title

Splitting a record into two records

I'm working with an excel file of membership info for a social club.  The excel file is set up with each row as a discrete record for each membership "unit," which can be a single person or a couple.  In the case where there are two people in a unit, the columns for that person's individual data are labeled "first2" "last2" "b-day2" etc.

What I'd like to do is duplicate those two-person units into two records that would keep all the common info (such as address, city, zip) but would keep person 1's individual data in one record (stripping person 2's data" and person 2's data in the second (again stripping person 1's info).

If anyone has any creative ideas such as scripting or complex calculations, I'm listening.

Thank you,

-Tod

• 1. Re: Splitting a record into two records
          philmodjunk

Duplicate record can make a duplicate of the record and then set field steps can move the "2" data into the corresponding "1" fields in one of the two records.

You might also consider splitting this data into two tables. Use one table for the address info and another for each member. Multiple members with the same address would then be linked to the same address record.