1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 15, 2010 9:23 AM by philmodjunk

Splitting files into front end control and back end data

JFCoffin

Title

Splitting files into front end control and back end data

Greetings all ...

I'm new to Filemaker Pro. My background is  Access development. As most of you know, it's common practice on the  Access platform to split the data and the control objects (all the modules, forms, macros and queries) into two separate files. This  allows a copy of the front end control file  to be worked on offsite, while the client continues to manage their data  through the existing front end on their workstation. When an update is complete,  it's dropped back onto the client's workstation, linked back up with  the data and the user continues uninterrupted.

Is there a similar methodology for updates available with FMP? As a developer, can I separate back end data from a front end control file?

Many thanks. FMP looks like a very interesting solution for a number of situations.

John

• 1. Re: Splitting files into front end control and back end data
          philmodjunk

Yes, you can do this in FileMaker as well.

Take a closer look at Manage | Database | Relationships. Each box on this graph is called a "table occurrence". If you double click one, you'll find that you can specify the data-source table associated with this table occurrence and one of the options is to link it to a table in an external file.

Thus, every "box" in your relationship graph can link to tables in the "back end" file making your current file the "front end" file much like you would with a split file system in Access.