4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2010 4:57 AM by sbsawler

SQLEditor with FileMakerPro 11?

sbsawler

Title

SQLEditor with FileMakerPro 11?

Hi:

I'm fairly new to databasing in general and was wondering if anyone has used SQLEditor with FileMakerPro? If so, what drivers did you use to move the ERD from SQLEditor into FileMaker?

If there are other suggestions for an ERD program that works well with FileMakerPro, please advise.

Thanks,

Scott

OSX 10.6.3

FileMakerPro11

SQLEditor from http://www.malcolmhardie.com/sqleditor/

• 1. Re: SQLEditor with FileMakerPro 11?
          mrvodka

FileMaker is not built on a SQL platform so you will not be able to do what you asked.

• 2. Re: SQLEditor with FileMakerPro 11?
            sbsawler

Hi:

Thanks for the info.

Is there ERD software that integrates well with FileMakerPro?

Scott

• 3. Re: SQLEditor with FileMakerPro 11?
              mrvodka

Not that I know of. FileMaker does things so differently. FileMaker is very context sensitive as results are displayed through a layout which is context sensitive to the table occurrence that it is based on.

• 4. Re: SQLEditor with FileMakerPro 11?
                sbsawler

Hi:

Thanks again, I appreciate your help.

FYI, email correspondance with customer support at MalcolmHardie Soultions provided the information below.

Scott

Filemaker isn't a database that is officially supported (for various reasons) but there is a JDBC driver available for some versions and I think it should work. If the database driver works, it should be possible to develop a dialect (giving the types for the database).

From reading the Filemaker ODBC/JDBC guide it seems that the driver should be on the installation CD.

There is also another possible driver from

http://code.google.com/p/filemaker-to-servoy-jdbc-driver/

I'm not currently sure what will happen trying these, but the servoy version does seem to support some of the methods required for SQLEditor to extract the information.

First install the driver in /Library/Java/Extensions/
                then add the driver manually using the Databases Preferences panel (Click the + button to add a driver and fill out the details).

I'm not sure how well it will work, it will depend very much on how complete the jdbc driver is.

I'm somewhat hopeful and it's probably worth giving it a try.

(Unfortunately I don't have access to current Filemaker release so I can't test this right now)

good luck!