5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2012 10:36 AM by philmodjunk

Standard Deviation Found Set Layout...?

heath

Title

Standard Deviation Found Set Layout...?

Just wondering if some of you may have an opinion on which approach to take when making a layout to both calculate and graph the standard deviation of a found set of records. What I need to accomplish is to make a layout in which a user may select a group of data by its name (say "SampleType1, SampleType2, SampleType3"). After the user selects said "SampleType" from a dropdown, the records of that type must be found and listed in a portal. From there I wish to have the standard deviation calculated and graphed. Every time a user selects a different "SampleType" the aforementioned process repeats and the new information replaces the old. Not a sort answer I know, but any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Standard Deviation Found Set Layout...?
          philmodjunk

A summary field can compute the standard deviation and you can reference this aggregate value for the set of related records when using a portal.

But this only produces a single value for your chart--not much to graph in that case. Am I missing something?

• 2. Re: Standard Deviation Found Set Layout...?
            heath

Hi Phil-

I need to generate a standard deviation curve on a graph.  We need to know the tightness of the curve bassed on test results for each of the products we produce.  We would like to have it so the user can select the product, then have the list produced and the SD graphed and calulated.

• 3. Re: Standard Deviation Found Set Layout...?
              philmodjunk

From a statistical point of view, I don't see how that works. A standard deviation computes a single value for the entire data set. Do you mean that you want to chart the normal distribution curve?

• 4. Re: Standard Deviation Found Set Layout...?
                heath

Yes that's right.  Sorry, too many things going on at once.  I am more interested in how to have the user select a product from the dropdown list and have FMP generate a list of test results, for just that product in the portal.  And then from there give me a summary, SD and graph on Distribution Curve.

Thanks

• 5. Re: Standard Deviation Found Set Layout...?
                  philmodjunk

You'll need a relationship based on the the field you set up with the drop down list of products.

Something like:

ChartingTable::gSelectedProductID = DataTable::ProductID

where you have a drop down list of ProductIDs from the DataTable. And you layout would be based on ChartingTable while your portal would be based on DataTable in this example.