2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2013 7:03 AM by jackmac

Standard text?

jackmac

Title

Standard text?

Hi all,

I want to have a way I can build an info leaflet for prospective clients using blocks of standard text I create. Depending on what they want, the leaflet would contain different info.

Say I make standard text blocks 1 - 5 and I wanted to make a leaflet using blocks 1 and 2. I want to be able to say use a tick box system and it will copy the text I have already in the system (1 - 5). I need it to copy as there will be the odd occasion where I need to modify slightly but want the original text to remain the same.

I know how to create the text blocks using a field, that's the easy part. It's tricky as I want to be able to copy them to a new location on the fly and modify then output to pdf. (pdf is the easy part too).

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Standard text?
          philmodjunk

Each standard block should be a Record in a table. You can set up tables and relationships such as:

Clients----<Messages----<SelectedBlocks>-----Blocks

Clients::__pkClientID = Messages::_fkClientID

Blocks::__pkBlockID = SelectedBlocks::_fkBlockID

This assumes that you might send more than one such message to the same client. If you will never send more than one, you don't need the messages table and can link Clients directly to SelectedBlocks.

A List view layout based on SelectedBlocks can be set to print out your message. Clicking a button can select a particular block and create a record in SelectedBlocks that is linked to that Block record. The field that contains the Block text can be set to "slide up, resize enclosing part" to produce a printed, preiviewed and/or PDF copy that removes unused space between the blocks of text.

For an explanation of the notation that I am using, see the first post of: Common Forum Relationship and Field Notations Explained

And as a way to personalize those blocks of text, you might find this demo file of interest: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6xw8buafjuohncu/MessageTemplateBuilder.fp7

For an example of an interface design that you might use for selecting blocks of text for a given message, see the check boxes layout in this demo file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/oyir7cs0yxmbn6i/ManyToManywDemoWExtras.fp7

These demo files can be opened from FileMaker's File Menu to get a converted copy of the file if you are using FileMaker 12 or newer.

• 2. Re: Standard text?
            jackmac

Thanks Phil, yet again a great answer!

Much appreciated!