3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 9:47 AM by JosephMauriello

Start with number 1 and perform a running count of records

PenelopeLawson-Getz

Title

Start with number 1 and perform a running count of records

I hope someone reads this and can help me. I am about to pull my hair out trying to figure out this basic function. All I am trying to do is have the very first column count the records as they are entered in. Sounds simple enough  but I cant quite figure out how to formulate it using the count calculation. No example that I can find in the book I just paid $99. Seems like a basic function everyone would want to have on a spreadsheet.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

• 1. Re: Start with number 1 and perform a running count of records
          philmodjunk

One method is not to use any field at all. Just put @@ in the row of the record. This works in list view and also in a portal. This layout text will display the record number of the record in your found set. It's based on the record's current position in the current found set. Change the found set by sorting on a different field or by finding different recors and you still see this layout object numbering them starting with one.

You can also use a number field with an auto-entered serial number to number your records. This number will stay with each record and number them in the order that they were created.

There is also a way to use a summary field to number your records with a running count of the records. This field can be set to restart the count with each set of grouped records.

• 2. Re: Start with number 1 and perform a running count of records
            JosephMauriello

I was about to ask this question. How would you do this?:

There is also a way to use a summary field to number your records with a running count of the records. This field can be set to restart the count with each set of grouped records.

• 3. Re: Start with number 1 and perform a running count of records
              JosephMauriello

I think I solved it.

The attached screen shot works but only when I'm viewing at it in a portal. I'm not entirely clear on what is going on.

if I don't check "restart summary for each sorted group" I get some strange behaviors, the numbers don't appear at all in form view, however, if I switch to list view they do, and they stick around when I switch back to form view??