3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 3:36 PM by philmodjunk

Starter Solution additions Manage>Database>Fields Tab for new TO

pvw

Title

Starter Solution additions Manage>Database>Fields Tab for new TO

I have a FMPro 12 file converted from excel.
           I have created auto serial and created dbl underscore kp field.
           This master file has 400+ fields (some empty.)

I want to use a few of the Starter Solutions.

I need to add Table Occurrences, some of which will have fields that link to the __kp file, and some fields in these TO will be new.

Question 1: can numerous existing fields in __kp Manage>Database>Fields list be copied and pasted at one time into the Manage>Database>fields tab of the TO to help me define the new TO's?

Question 2: the__kp file holds five fields each of 50 names (first1, last1, title1,gender1,biography1, first2,last2,title2,gender2,biography2, etc. ref. screen shot) and I presume a TO with a portal is the answer but what should the fields be in order to link up this data that exists in the __kp file? I hope to be able to use for calls, mailings, emails, and inhouse use for i.d. of influencers, key contacts etc.

Also, and miscelleneously, is there a way to quickly scroll a long list of fields in the Relationships tab so one does not have to wait for the little arrow button at the bottom or top frame of the container?
           Thank you

Screen_Shot_2013-08-26_at_12.12.32_PM.png

• 1. Re: Starter Solution additions Manage>Database>Fields Tab for new TO
          philmodjunk

can numerous existing fields in __kp Manage>Database>Fields list be copied and pasted at one time into the Manage>Database>fields tab of the TO to help me define the new TO's?

This is possible in FileMaker Advanced. I don't think regular FileMaker has that Copy button enabled. You can ctrl-click or shift click to copy the fields and you'll need to copy them from the fields tab.

Question 2:

I'd set up several tables for that data and use a script to do a one time update that splits that data into a table or tables where you have multiple records taking the place of multiple fields. Then you can set up a portal to link to groups of these fields. The script can update a kf field with the appropriate kp field in the original table so that the portal can successfully link to the right group of records.

• 2. Re: Starter Solution additions Manage>Database>Fields Tab for new TO
            pvw

My layouts for this file do not carry data and I do not know why.

The one is a starter solution, the others relate to a duplicate of the primary file.

I am missing something(s) and I so badly want FMPro12 to work...

Thoughts?

• 3. Re: Starter Solution additions Manage>Database>Fields Tab for new TO
              philmodjunk

You'll need to study up on match fields and how they work in a relationship.

The relationship between Campaign Tasks and BPF Campaign Tasks will never work.

An ID field, typically named in UPPER CASE letters that include the words MATCH FIELD in the starter solutions and more compactly named by me adn others in this format: __pkTableOccurrenceNameID (same field; two different ways to name the field). Is set to auto-enter a value that uniquely identifies each record in the table. I almost always use a number field with an auto-entered serial number for this as it is simple to work with and has worked reliably in FileMaker for many versions/years. With FileMaker 12, however, you can also set the field up as a text field with the Get ( UUID ) calculation to auto-enter a unique identifier.

When you link a record in one table (often called the parent table) to many related records in another table, you use a match field of the same data type but no auto-enter options. (In my naming convention, I use this format: _kpParentTableOccurrenceID.)

Thus, you almost always match a single __pk field in the parent table to just one _fkfield in the other.

Oh yes, and I can see that there is some possible confusion in your use of the term "Table Occurrence" (TO). When you are working with the boxes on Manage | Database | Relationships, you are working with table occurrences. When you click on the Fields tab, you are now working with Tables. While the Table Occurrence often has exactly the same name as the table to which it refers, it is not the same thing and in fact can have a completely different name than it's data source table. On the Tables tab, the Tables (data source tables) are listed on the left, and the Table Occurrence "boxes" that refer to them are listed on the right.

See this thread on table occurrences to learn more: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?