2 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2010 5:03 AM by 100

Starting point / advice for splitting legacy "repeating fields" to 1-m relationship?

Title

Starting point / advice for splitting legacy "repeating fields" to 1-m relationship?

Hi All,

I am in process of upgrading a legacy system from 5.x to v11.

Thus far thanks to advice from you good folks I have been able to bring the data successfully

into v11 and start playing with it. One of the issues is I want to move away from the limitations

of using "repeating fields" (which are heavily used in this database), and re-structure the data

into a one-->many relationship which is more usable. If I was doing this in another database

format (ie: access/sql/paradox/dbase...) I would restructure the relevant tables / add new tables

and relatinoships where neccessary, then write some code (sql/vb/delphi etc) that would extract

the data from the leacy format and re-create it in a linked format to the new format.

So - the core question is mainly: is there a tried/tested method of doing this kind of thing within

FMPro (11) - are there any particular inbuilt tools or script functions I should be looking at, or

indeed are there any helpful documents relating to same!?

Many thanks in advance,

Allen.