3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2009 3:01 PM by TSGal

Status Toolbar size difference between languages

mfbernard

Title

Status Toolbar size difference between languages

I am just converting to FM10, insuring that the application still works and adjusting the screens with the new status toolbar at the top of the screen.

Why is the toolbar in the French interface about 18-20 points higher than in English? (it looks like unused grey space - the words in French are longer but they fit on one line...)

Anyway to compress the toolbar? to match the English?

(sorry I don't know how to attach jpg files to illustrate what I'm talking about)

• 1. Re: Status Toolbar size difference between languages
          TSGal

mfb:

Thank you for your post.

Unfortunately, I cannot duplicate the problem.  This is what I have done.

1. In FileMaker Pro 10, I measured the Status Toolbar area of a sample file.  I then quit FileMaker Pro 10.

2. In System Preferences, I clicked on "International".  I moved Français to the top of the list, and I selected the International format to France (French).  I closed System Preferences.

3. I launched FileMaker Pro 10 and opened the sample file.  The Status Toolbar is the same measurement as it was in English.

If there is something that I'm doing differently than you, please let me know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Status Toolbar size difference between languages
            mfbernard

Hello,

I did not change the Windows Language Preferences.

From within FM10, Edit/Preferences... General Tab, User Interface Language: select Français

quit FM10

Re-launch FM10  (you are now using FileMaker in French)

Open your sample file to see the status toolbar.

I've tried on 2 different computers (that use different video settings): the French status toolbar is larger than the English one, on both computers.

I've gone and made some adjustments to my French details screens, I am not too hopeful that the status bar will changed for me! but it does not appear that the extra space is necessary... (it seems like the status toolbar is a bit too "spacey" in English anyway...) I know I could get rid of it altogether: I find the status toolbar useful and want to integrate it with my applications, it would just have been nice if it used a little less real-estate (and at least similar space use between languages, English and French, in our case).

Thanks for looking into it

• 3. Re: Status Toolbar size difference between languages
              TSGal

mfb:

Since you mention "Edit/Preferences", you are using Windows OS.

Yes, I can duplicate the problem.  I have forwarded this information to our Development and Software Quality Assurance (Testing) department for review and confirmation.  When more information becomes available, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.