7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2009 12:45 PM by davidanders

Still Can't Find My IWP Database: Need Help!

gfhoward

Title

Still Can't Find My IWP Database: Need Help!

Hi, I've published my database using IWP, but I can't find the database on the internet. I'm typing my IP address into my browser per the instructions, but it does nothing. How do I access my web-based database? I'm running V. 10 on OSX 10.6.

• 1. Re: Still Can't Find My IWP Database: Need Help!
          gfhoward
             C'mon, someone's gotta know how to access an IWP database! I've been waiting like a week for an answer, and I can't build my database until I'm sure I have web access. Please help!
          • 2. Re: Still Can't Find My IWP Database: Need Help!
            davidanders

What IP address are you typing in?

There are internet IP addresses and local IP addresses (192.168.xxx.xxx and 10.xxx.xxx.xxx)

You can have a dynamic IP address or pay for a static IP address. 

Do you have computers on your local network? Do they see it? 

Have you followed the instructions from filemaker on setting it up? (what instructions did you use?)

What other threads did you post to?  Have you searched here for setup help? (many people ask this question) 

• 3. Re: Still Can't Find My IWP Database: Need Help!
              gfhoward

I'm typing in my internet IP address, I didn't know there is a "local IP" that is different. How do I look that up?

I have a static IP, dynamic IPs are what you can pay for.

I have one other Mini Mac connected to my internet router, but that's it, and I don't have them networked to share information.

Yes, I have followed the directions for setting it up, there is a menu option to publish using IWP, that's what I used

Yes I've searched this forum for other answers, nothing on this particular problem

• 4. Re: Still Can't Find My IWP Database: Need Help!
                PointInSpace

Make sure you're also entering the /fmi/iwp/ path in your url, ala:

http://your.ip.address/fmi/iwp/

- John 

• 5. Re: Still Can't Find My IWP Database: Need Help!
                  gfhoward
                     OK, I just realized that it's not my internet IP address that takes me there, it's the IP that Filemaker gives me when I publish the database with IWP, which is a different number. So now it is taking to the Filemaker IWP page, but it says "No databases available" even though I clearly published the database. I have full access set to Admin. What could be the problem?
                  • 6. Re: Still Can't Find My IWP Database: Need Help!
                    davidanders

The IP address number you are using is key to understanding the difficulty.

The Port you have assigned in IWP setup is important - 80 is default, 591 is commonly used

If you have filemaker running IWP without errors on startup

If you have another computer on the local network, try accessing Filemaker from that machines' browser. Enter the IP of the FM machine. ex 10.0.0.3:591

If you don't have another machine on the network, you can do what is called a local loopback test on the same machine. Open a browser and enter 127.0.0.1:591 and see what happens.

IPAddress Wiki Google

IP address WIKI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address

SNIP

IPv4 private addresses

Computers not connected to the Internet, such as factory machines that communicate only with each other via TCP/IP, need not have globally-unique IP addresses. Three ranges of IPv4 addresses for private networks, one range for each class (A, B, C), were reserved in RFC 1918. These addresses are not routed on the Internet and thus their use need not be coordinated with an IP address registry.

Today, when needed, such private networks typically connect to the Internet through network address translation (NAT).

IANA-reserved private IPv4 network ranges
                    Start               End                            No. of addresses      

10.0.0.0          10.255.255.255         16,777,216               24-bit Block (/8 prefix, 1 x A)

172.16.0.0       172.31.255.255          1,048,576                20-bit Block (/12 prefix, 16 x B)

192.168.0.0     192.168.255.255             65,536                    16-bit Block (/16 prefix, 256 x C)

• 7. Re: Still Can't Find My IWP Database: Need Help!
                      davidanders

To recap

Setup and start IWP, note the IP address and port number in IWP setup

ON THE SAME COMPUTER...

Open a browser and type in 127.0.0.1:591  OR   127.0.0.1:80  OR  127.0.0.1:YourIWPPortNumber

If the IWP Homepage comes up, IWP is working.

If there are no databases listed, your Database IWP setup is missing something

ON ANOTHER LOCAL COMPUTER 

If you have another computer connected to your router  

Open a browser and enter 10.0.0.3:591 (this is the IP address IWP setup gave you) or 192.168.0.4:591 or whatever 

If the IWP Homepage comes up, IWP is working.

If there are no databases listed, your Database IWP setup is missing something

ON A COMPUTER ON THE INTERNET, NOT PLUGGED INTO YOUR ROUTER

www.whatismyipaddress.com will give the IP address assigned to your cable modem / router OR DSL modem / router

Open a browser on the remote computer, enter yourIPaddress:portnumber

That request is sent to your router / modem, it is asking for and expecting a response from software set to that port.

If that port has not been forwarded to the computer running FM IWP, an error or no response will happen.

Your router has to be told to forward that port request to a specific computer on your network.

www.portforward.com