8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2013 2:26 PM by JaimeHorton

Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields

JaimeHorton

Title

Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields

Hi again 

so im sure im missing something very basic 

im trying to create a printout with alot of merge fields, i cant get these to move up 

for example if i have a listing in support 1 

and opener 1 i want the opener one to move up right below the support, i cant get it to work. i attached a screen shot 

if anyone has any ideas please let me know 

Thanks 

JHo

Slide_Up.jpg

• 1. Re: Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields
          raybaudi

Why they aren't all left aligned ?

• 2. Re: Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields
            philmodjunk

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
            3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
            5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
            7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
            9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
            11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
            13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.

And I don't see any obvious reasons why these need to be merge fields.

• 3. Re: Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields
              JaimeHorton

they are not left aligned because i'm messing with centering 

so what does it mean my defining top alignment 

Thanks Guys 

• 4. Re: Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields
                JaimeHorton

I had them as merge fields because i couldnt get them to slide up as regular fields either 

this is really frustrating me 

are there any tutorials on this, i want them to slide up because on some sheets i wont have every field occupied and i would like them all to move up so i don't have spaces

Thanks Phil 

• 5. Re: Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields
                  philmodjunk

I had them as merge fields because i couldn't get them to slide up as regular fields either

But merge fields and regular fields, so long as each merge field is a separate layout object and not part of a larger text block, slide up the same way.

Top alignment is the default setting for a field. It isn't likely to be an issue here for that reason, but for all but container fields, you can change the alignment settings on the inspector's appearance tab.

Here's what top alignment is:

If you have a field that is tall enough to display 2 or more rows of text inside the field, if you enter a single row of text in the field, then a field with top alignment will show that data at the top of the field. A field with bottom alignment will show that data at the bottom of the field. A field with a center, vertical alignment will show that data centered vertically in the field.

The most common way that sliding layout objects fail for a developer is due to incorrect expectations. This a layout feature that is strictly intended for printing. The objects do not slide while in browse mode, only when printing, saving as PDF or previewing.

• 6. Re: Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields
                    raybaudi

Merge fields must slide but there is another option, if you want... create a calculation field that use the List ( ) function and place that new field on the layout.

List (  support 1; support 2 ; support 3 ; opener 1 )

• 7. Re: Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields
                      philmodjunk

Merge fields must slide

Only if they are part of the same text object. The faint boxes I see around the merge fields in the screen shot appear to show that they are separate layout objects so they won't slide that way unless sliding options are correctly specified for them and you take the window into Preview mode.

• 8. Re: Still Struggling with Slide up merge fields
                        JaimeHorton

Ok starting to make more sense now 

Thanks again guys 

i'm still learning and appriciate the help 

JHo