3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2013 1:13 AM by sparrow_design

Stoping 12 request to select file name?

digitalgene

Title

Stoping 12 request to select file name?

Hello and thanks,

(New User) Using File Maker 12 put a script together to inport records into 12 tables.

I have it working OK but after each "Import Records [No dialog]" command the windows explorer dialog box opens for my user to select the source file.

It does this after each of the 12 inport requests.

Is there some way of capturing the first source file in a variable then using the Variable in the next 11 request?

Or if you have a better Idea?

Thanks for any help

• 1. Re: Stoping 12 request to select file name?
          philmodjunk

What I do is put a global field of type container on my layout.

Then I use Insert File to ask the user to select the file from which data will be imported with the "Store a Reference" specified. It's then possible to extract the file path (Which records the file's name and where it is located) into a variable that I can use with each of the Import Records Steps.

• 2. Re: Stoping 12 request to select file name?
            digitalgene

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the information I will give this a try.

Again I'm new to FileMaker but moving along,

Thanks again.yes

• 3. Re: Stoping 12 request to select file name?
              sparrow_design

Hi Gene,

You may not need to do the extra work, and who wants to?...It sounds like you 'forgot' to open the Import Dialog FILE_PATH subsection of the Script Step (the first button of 2 in lower right corner)....in that dialog you need to ADD the reference to the File being imported (use buttons to select just as User is doing now). Once saved THERE, it will NOT prompt User for path anymore.

Hope that helps! Cheers,

-David