3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2014 12:38 AM by jabs.far

Storage system management

jabs.far

Title

Storage system management

Hello all,

I can't seem to work out the logic needed to manage space availability through smart scripting .... We store vials in racks, and each of these racks have 36 available positions (3 rows, 12 columns). We have a great many of those racks. In my DB, I use separate rack identifiers, row identifiers, and column identifiers. Concatenation  of those gives me the complete storage information for each vial. Now, I'd like to have my DB propose an available position, whenever we want to integrate a new vial in the system. Is there a (smart) way of doing this ?! The "number crunching" approach of generating a table with a record for each possible position (and it's status; "occupied" or "available") does at first, not seem very smart to me. I was hoping that several of you might have already faced things like this with more success than me, and might have come up with elegant approaches. 

If so, thank you very much for sharing your thoughts ...

From a rainy Paris, I wish you all a good weekend.

Jan

• 1. Re: Storage system management
          FilmUser

A rainy Paris is (still) a good Paris.

I'm going to follow this, I have a similar situation archiving objects in Drawers and Sections (within each drawer). My situation is more complicated in that the sections occupy more or less space in the drawer, depending upon what is in the section, but could be indexed by Type of object (a finite number of Types).

I do have a table of Drawers, with a portal showing what is in each drawer, with the section recorded as part of the Object record, so displaying in the portal.

I have no way at present to indicate "empty" places, but sounds interesting.

• 2. Re: Storage system management
            philmodjunk

That individual records approach that you don't want to do is probably your best option. With individual records for each storage location, you gain a great deal of flexibility that you will not have with other options.

• 3. Re: Storage system management
              jabs.far

Paris is sunny now, and in the mean time, my mind cleared up on this issue too. PhilModJunk's comment assures me. I did finally create the suggested separate table, that has one record for each possible storage location, with an "available/occupied" indicator. A relationship to this table from a global field containing the text "available" provides a list of "empty" locations in the "vials" table. I just had to develop a looping script for creating the storage records, that I chose to do by scripting the creation of new "racks" whenever needed.

Thank you for your input, and for making me feel less stupid ...

Jan