1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 4, 2011 12:12 PM by philmodjunk

Store a selected filepath to a variabl

DuaneOrloske

Title

Store a selected filepath to a variabl

I have scripts in my solution that download images, from records in a foundset, to a folder on the user's desktop. I have been using the Get(DesktopPath) command to do that.  My users want the ability to do the same thing to a folder on the external drives they have connected to their individual computers.  What I would like to do is set up a script that allows them to choose a file path and then store that choice to a gobal variable so all their exports, from then on, go to that location rather than their desktop.

So, is there a way to set up a script that will allow them to choose a file path and store it to a varialbe?  I have not been able to see a way to do that and see no other way to accomplish this customizable ability, as the path to the xternal drives differs from user to user.

Thanks,

Duane A. Orloske

• 1. Re: Store a selected filepath to a variabl
          philmodjunk

You can certainly set up a global field formatted with a value list of file path options. The contents of this global field can then be used to compute a file path.

What FileMaker cannot do is list the available drives on the user's current machine automatically. You may find that a file manipulation plug in from a third part developer can add this capability to your system.