6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2014 11:05 AM by philmodjunk

store only a reference to the file

smithsmith

Title

store only a reference to the file

helloo.. i'm new in fm pro 13.i have 2 layouts.My table has many fields.first layout has many text  and 1 container and the second 3 containers.in the firs layout im inserting picture in container (store only a reference to the file) and i havent any problem.i want to do the same in my second layout and then filemaker stop working.could you help me??

• 1. Re: store only a reference to the file
          philmodjunk

i want to do the same in my second layout and then filemaker stop working.could you help me??

How is your second layout different from the first? Is it based on a different table or the same table? Is this the same container field or a different one?

"stop working" means what exactly? Did the program "crash" (unexpectedly quit) or is it just not allowing you to use the layout the way you want to use it?

If it's crashing, this might mean that your file is damaged. A crash can damage a file and a damaged file can cause a file to crash. So I'd run a recover on the file to check it for damage.

If you are inserting PDF files into an interactive container field, you should also check out this bug report to see if it explains what is happening. This report also describes how to fix this issue so that you don't get crashes.

For More Information see:     Records with a PDF file linked to an active container field cause FMP 12 to crash in OS 10.9

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip
          • 2. Re: store only a reference to the file
            smithsmith

it based in same table.i have 4different containers (based in same table). stop working mean thant..it looks like "thinking"  and you cant do nothing!

• 3. Re: store only a reference to the file
              philmodjunk

.My table has many fields.first layout has many text  and 1 container

i have 4different containers (based in same table).

Those two statements appear to contradict each other. Do you have 4 different fields defined in the same record or 4 different records, each with 1 container field?

What storage options have you selected for this field? Did you select external storage for it? (External Storage and "Store a reference" should not be used with the same field in most cases though it should not cause a "hang" like you describe.

Have you created any scripts for this database yet? Are any performed by script triggers?

A script trapped in an infinite loop could produce what you are describing.

But a damaged file could also produce what you describe as a "hang" can be another type of "crash". So you still may need to run a Recover on the file to check it for file damage.

• 4. Re: store only a reference to the file
                smithsmith

i have 4 different fields defined in the same record. The storage option is "Store a reference".i havent scripts

• 6. Re: store only a reference to the file
                  philmodjunk

Then I would run a recover on this file to see if it may be damaged. It shouldn't "hang" just from what you describe.