1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 7:14 PM by philmodjunk

Stored Calculation versus Auto-Enter Calculation for text for concatenating the full name

tree_of_life

Title

Stored Calculation versus Auto-Enter Calculation for text for concatenating the full name

Is there any difference between these two? I do know that there is a difference between a stored and an unstored calculation; namely, that search speeds will be faster with a stored calculation, and indexing is allowed, at the expense of a larger database. 

But whether there is a difference between a stored calculation field (where the calculation result is text), and a text field with an auto-enter calculation (and replacing existing value is allowed). 

Might there be some slight difference, like, for example, perhaps in exporting the database to a text file. I can't think of all the possibilities for a possible difference, so hopefullly someone will point out a difference, or indicate, that there is no real difference. 

I'm just wondering about when you are concatencating a full name from fields of firstname, middlename, lastname, which are all in the same table. But if someone has something to say about when concatenating fields from a related table, if this makes a difference, please reveal the mystery. 

• 1. Re: Stored Calculation versus Auto-Enter Calculation for text for concatenating the full name
          philmodjunk

Often, there isn't a difference, but there are a few differences to keep in mind.

If your calculation references a field in another table, the calculation field cannot be stored. The auto-entered calculation can be stored BUT changes to the value from the other table's field do not update the value computed and stored in the field.

If you need a validation rule for your calculated value that cannot be set up to work on each individual field, an auto-entered calculation can be used and a validation rule set for it. A validation rule doesn't work for calculation fields. Your full name field is a classic example. If you need it to only store unique values (perhaps it will supply values to a value list), then it should be defined as an auto-enter calculation so you can set up a unique values calculation on it.