AnsweredAssumed Answered

Storing a reference to a remote image in a container field.

Question asked by AlastairMcInnes on Oct 25, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 25, 2012 by AlastairMcInnes

Title

Storing a reference to a remote image in a container field.

I have a database of book data amongst which is the name of a jpg of the book's cover. At the moment, I'm displaying these in a webviewer control using a "data:text..." viewer setup.

This works fine as far as the screen goes - the images appear and you can even click on them to see the full size version if you want.

The problem is that the look very bad on paper - the resolution is far too low for us to send printouts of the book information to agents or clients.

Which, I suppose, leads to the first questionn - is there a way to improve the quality of the images in the webviewer control when they're printed?

However, the actual point of the post is that I've been wondering about using a container field to store a reference to the image instead. This works fine and looks great on both the screen and on paper. 

My problem is how to store the reference. I have a text field which stores just the name of the jpg - usually the ISBN of the book in question but not always because not all our books have ISBNs. At the moment, the webviewer just picks this up like this:

img src='http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/covers/" & Titles::CoverImageFilename

I can't figure out an equivalent for a container field.

The images are stored on our website server which is handy as they have to be accessible to me in Edinburgh, my colleagues in the Oxford office and in our offices in the USA.

I haven't been able to figure out the syntax for including a reference to a remote server in the container field. For a local drive, it's easy enough:

imagewin:/I:/978250352080.jpg

But I can't find an acceptable combination of syntax to refer to the IP address of the remote server.

Does anyone know if this is even possible and, if so, how to do it?

Many thanks in advance,
     Alastair

Outcomes