AnsweredAssumed Answered

storing and using master files on Dropbox — is it okay? (NOT about FMGo!)

Question asked by williamporter on Jan 19, 2013
Latest reply on Dec 7, 2014 by William-Porter

Title

storing and using master files on Dropbox — is it okay? (NOT about FMGo!)

Is there anything wrong (or dangerous) with storing the master copies of FileMaker database files on Dropbox, and opening them, editing them and using them while they are stored on Dropbox? Is this perhaps contrary to best practices or something? I've searched for such a warning and haven't been able to find anything on the subject, 

NOTE: I'm NOT talking about using Dropbox for sharing — just about using Dropbox as if it were a folder on my computer. The files are only ever opened from one computer at a time.

The reason I want to do this is that I work on two different computers (an iMac and a Macbook Air) and I would like to be able to access my database files with equal ease without worrying about which computer I'm on, that is, without having to move the files from one computer to the other. I never open the files on both computers at the same time.

I ask because I'm not entirely sure I understand how Dropbox works, at a low level. I've actually done this for a while with some of my files and it seems to work okay, but lately, I've started to feel a tad nervous about it. 

Will

Outcomes