4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 9:25 AM by sccardais

Storing database in Dropbox

sccardais

Title

Storing database in Dropbox

Is it possible to store an FMP database in a Dropbox folder and for others to open and edit that file from another location with another copy of FMP?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Storing database in Dropbox
          philmodjunk

It's possible, but not the best option. You can easily ended up with multiple copies of the file in your drop box folder--each with different data. Each time you close the file, DropBox tries to upload a new copy to the "cloud". But if someone else also has the file open, you can get an additional "conflicted copy" saved to your drop box and now you have two or more versions of your data to merge.

• 2. Re: Storing database in Dropbox
            sccardais

Thank you.

I would like to put this database online to allow no more than 4 concurrent users (private logins) with various permission levels to view. edit or create records.

•           I've never done this before and I'm uncertain about how to set up.
            •      
            •           I have Filemaker Pro Advanced v 11. Do I need a different version to create a database that can be hosted on a 3rd party site?
            •      
            •           Other than a browser, is any additional software required on the user's computers to view, edit, etc. the hosted Filemaker database.
            •      
            •           Where can I find a list of qualified companies to host the database?

As you can tell, I probably need some hand-holding or step-wise directions. Can you recommend a place / person to get some additiional help?

Thank you again for your help.

Scott C.

• 3. Re: Storing database in Dropbox
              philmodjunk

FileMaker Pro (or advanced) can host up to 9 different guests at a time so it is possible to use the software that you already own to set up a machine at your location that is accessible to remote users, if you configure FileMaker and your internet router correctly.

If you contract with a third party to host your software for you, they can use their copy of FileMaker Server to host  your software for a monthly fee. I would expect that most such providers can still host FileMaker 11 files for you but you'll need to web search and ask questions if you decide to use that option.

• 4. Re: Storing database in Dropbox
                sccardais

Thank you for your prompt and clear answers.

Scott C.