2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 11:20 AM by philmodjunk

Storing Images or only a refrence to the file

AlexTorry

Title

Storing Images or only a refrence to the file

Hi,

I came up with the idea of changing all my "add image" button scripts to set the containers to store only a reference to the file and not the image itself thinking that eventually my database will hold many images and could get slow. 

But then, contrary to my toughts i realized that it became notably slow with this change, maybe because it takes longer for filemaker to go and lookup that reference for the file and displaying it.

Which way would you recommend for me? Considering that i wouldn't really care if my database file gets very big. I am planning to use a server on a wireless network and also access it via filemaker go.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Storing Images or only a refrence to the file
          Sorbsbuster

Storing images inside the file with balloon your file size at a huge rate.

I use 'by reference' all the time, and have never noted it to be slow.  It is pulling the image in across your network (or from your HD) so the connection speed is a factor.  As I say, referenced to a local file or a LAN server has never caused me any problem.

You must plan that all users of the file have the same reference path to the images - so they must all map the images' folder in the same way.  That may give you a issue with making sure the iPad can also see the same image path.

• 2. Re: Storing Images or only a refrence to the file
            philmodjunk

Sorry folks, it's my understanding that images in container fields cannot be "by reference" if you are going to view them via Filemaker Go...Frown