13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2010 10:08 PM by phowson

storing references in container fields

shelleym25

Title

storing references in container fields

Hi - I am working with a shared database, where my husband is the host.  This database has a container field for storing image files.  We are only storing references to these files.  When I insert a file and store a reference to it my husband cannot click on it and open the file without getting an error message saying that the file in question "could not be found and is required to complete this operation".  When he clicks OK he is prompted to find the file in question.  Is this how this is supposed to work?  I thought that once I stored the reference that would be it, we would both be able to double-click the file and view it, right now I am the only one able to do this.  Any help would be great!!!

Thanks

• 1. Re: storing references in container fields
          ninja

Howdy shelleym25,

Thanks for the post.

Are you on PC or Mac?  The reason I ask is that if you're on PC...I can help (investigate open URL script command...its direct and easy).

If on Mac, I've been fighting the problem you're having for months to years.  Orlando on this board has been quite helpful (I think...still not workin'...) walking through the "Send Event" script step.

What FMP version and what platform?

• 2. Re: storing references in container fields
            shelleym25

Hi Ninja,

Thanks for getting back to me!  I am on a Mac and I'm using FM Pro 9.  It sounds like I have a long road to travel...I guess I'll look into the "Send Event" script. 

Shelley 

• 3. Re: storing references in container fields
              ninja

Shelley25,

If you figure it out, with or without help from another on the board, please PM me or post the solution clearly.  No kidding...I've been at this for over a year, and someone else before me.  Good thing it's not my primary job function!

I know it's possible.

It's probably even easy.

But I ken PC.

Best of Luck to you!

• 4. Re: storing references in container fields
                TSGal

shelleym25:

Thank you for your post.

When you insert an image as a reference, FileMaker stores the full path name to where the file is located.  One way to see the file reference is to create a calculation field with the formula equal to the Calculation field, and resulting in text.  For example, on my computer, it may show:

size: 100,75

image:test.jpg

imagemac:/MacintoshHD/Users/TSGal/Desktop/test.jpg

Therefore, if someone is connected to this file, they will not see this file, unless they have the same username and same location and file on their computer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 5. Re: storing references in container fields
                  ninja

TSGal,

If 2 or more macs are networked, peer to peer or on server, is there a way to have the pathname be constant so that you can reach the file from any computer on the network?

Shelley...it's your thread...if I'm leading it astray, please pull it back to your needs and your questions...the prime objective is to get YOUR question answered.

• 6. Re: storing references in container fields
                    TSGal

Ninja:

If the server is available to both machines, then you can have a reference to it.  You could place these in a public folder under iDisk and share the files.  If the iDisk account is TEST, and you have a file testing.jpg, internally, FileMaker will see this as:

imagemac:/TEST-Public/testing.jpg

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 7. Re: storing references in container fields
                      Sorbsbuster

First: reassurance to shelleym25 - yes, it *is* meant to work the way that you want.

I have had this problem a couple of times (on Windows), for a while even randomly allowing some users to double-click and see the file and then not, and then someone else, previously unaffected, would start having the problem.

In all cases it has been an access privileges problem with the folder the images were stored in.  Once they've been sorted I've had no problem.

(In the case of the seemingly random 'can't read file...' problem, it was because they were stored on a Windows Server 2000 with a 20-user licence, and the recently-developed Filemaker files had become so popular that they now occasionally tripped over the 20-user limit.  That took a bit of finding...)

Alan.

• 8. Re: storing references in container fields
                        shelleym25

Hi TSGal:

I want to make sure I am understanding what you're telling me!  If I create the calculation field you describe, all I will get is a field telling me where the file is located?

This is not how I want my database to work.  I would like to be able to store a reference to a pdf or picture or whatever and I would like any user to be able to double click on the reference and have the file open up.  I don't want to be directed to the folder where the file is located and have to find it and then make the connection. Is there a way to do this?

I have another question for you regarding my container field.  I just inserted a pdf and stored it as a reference, but my host computer does not see it.  Do I need to commit the record or something along those lines when I do this? 

Thanks!

Shelley 

• 9. Re: storing references in container fields
                          TSGal

shelleym25:

Sorry for the confusion.  The calculation field was merely set up as a test to show how the reference is stored.  You do NOT need this field.

If you are going to have the file as a reference, you should place the file in a location that everyone has access.  If you have it on your local drive, other users are not going to see it.  If you have it on a server or Public folder (iDisk), each person can load that server or folder on their desktop.  Then, the users can double-click on the file and have it open.  Does that make sense?

Sorry again for the confusion.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 10. Re: storing references in container fields
                            shelleym25

TSGal:

Thanks for the clarification.  I now have a server devoted to hosting my database and everything is working just the way I want it (at least for now!).  

Thanks for all the help!

Shelley 

• 11. Re: storing references in container fields
                              slikmo
                                 I am also having an issue with importing only a reference to a file. I have FileMaker Server 9.x located in TN and serving files to users in LA and NYC. When I try to import references to JPG files from a folder located on the same CPU as the Server files (in the "Databases" folder), the files do not appear to anyone in LA or NYC. The path name for the folder is file://Macintosh HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Databases/scans/. I am forced to import the images directly into FileMaker server. What am I doing wrong? I have many images I want to view and I really don't want to grow the size of the file as it slows down the database.
                              • 12. Re: storing references in container fields
                                TSGal

slikmo:

Thank you for your post.

When graphics are stored in Container fields, referenced graphics will not be visible to guests unless they have mounted the volume where the graphics are stored before opening the database.  Therefore, make sure the guests in Los Angeles and New York City mount the volume where the graphics are stored.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: storing references in container fields
                                  phowson

Is there a way to make Filemaker pull in the images that are referenced based on the file reference?