AnsweredAssumed Answered

Storing User Settings

Question asked by craig_gee on May 15, 2011
Latest reply on May 16, 2011 by RestaurantCharlie

Title

Storing User Settings

Hi there,

My database is hosted by Filmeker Pro 11 client on a small local network with around 8 regular users. I need to store user settings/preferences for each user, including SMTP server settings and a list of which notifications they receieve (I have internally generated notifications for things that need attention from staff).

I have currently created a table with a record for each user which includes a field that has their account name. I then have a table with a global field that is set in an open script to the Account Name of the person that just logged in. These can then be used to form a relationship and retreive that persons settings from their record.

Is that the normal way of doing it? It seems like a crazy work around and potentially un-stable, for example I have to make sure I update that global field in my "Switch User" script so if someone else logs in they don't have the previous persons settings. I thought that each user account may have some sort of hidden ID that I could use but I can't seem to see such a thing.

I guess it would just be good to know if there is a better way or if that's the best I can do.

Thank you in advance for any advice/help,

Craig

Outcomes