2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 3:35 AM by ArthurJoyce

Strange Behavior

ArthurJoyce

Title

Strange Behavior

I've been trying to create a field that would be a checkbox unmodifiable field with a calculation to determine the action it would take. What I want to do is to have calculation field that would look at another field and see if there's anything in that field and if there is then I want that field to have an "X" placed in it.

I created the field and used the following as the calculation in the field:

If(IsEmpty(Individual Note);"";"X")

I have a field called "Individual Note" and wanted another field that would be a checkbox field to check and see if the "Individual Note" field had any information in it and if it did then an "X" would be put into the calculation field which would then check the checkbox and alert me that there was a note in the field checked.

However, when I run that calculation field it doesn't come up with anything. I know that there is text in the note field but the calculation field still comes up with nothing at all and I can't figure out why.

Art

• 1. Re: Strange Behavior
          davidanders

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5058/~/checking-for-empty-%28blank%29-field-values-for-a-calculation

Checking for Empty (Blank) Field Values for a Calculation      Updated: May 30, 2012

APPLICABLE TO
          FileMaker Pro 5.5, FileMaker Pro 5, FileMaker Pro 4.x, FileMaker Pro 3.x

Effective with FileMaker Pro 3.0, we include a new IsEmpty function that enables you to test whether a field is empty (blank). A sample calculation would look like this:

TestCalc(Calculation,text)=If (IsEmpty(TestField),Result if True,Result if False)

In FileMaker Pro 2.x and earlier, many methods for verifying empty (blank) field values will yield the correct result in some situations, however, there is only one reliable method.

Calculations do not calculate when the field that they are dependent on is blank. So if you define:

TypicalTest(Calculation) = If(length (TestMe)=0,Result if True,Result if False)

or

TypicalTest(Calculation) = If(TestMe = "", Result if True,Result if False)

FileMaker will not calculate this unless there is something in the TestMe field. Not very useful if you are trying to see if it is blank!

In order to trigger the calculation, you need to have a field that will always have a value in it. Sometimes these are referred to as 'dummy' or 'constant' fields. A good way to do this is to create a calculation that has a value in it. It can have any value - a date, some text, a number, etc. In this example we will use text:

Check4Empty (Calculation, Text result) = "XYZ"

So here is the test that will be reliable:

ReliableTest(Calculation) = If (TestMe & Check4Empty = Check4Empty, Result if True, Result if False)

This test says, 'if you concatenate (combine) the contents of the TestMe field and the Check4Empty field, is that equal to the Check4Empty field?' If they are equal, then there is obviously nothing in the TestMe field.

• 2. Re: Strange Behavior
            ArthurJoyce

Thank you!