4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 5:18 PM by Steve Wright

Strange error causing doubled-up text and graphics.

kleblanc65

Title

Strange error causing doubled-up text and graphics.

Here is the error:

FM 10 error

The problem occurs when the menu bar at the top is removed and replaced using any of the buttons. The software developer has no clue. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times. This is a program that I install every quarter due to updates. It always involved uninstalling and reinstalling. I manually delete all the files after it is uninstalled. It makes no difference. this issue has never happened with any of the previous versions. If I change from Form view to List view it clears, but comes back as soon as a query is run, or if the size is changed.

I am not a front page guy, I am the system engineer on site.

system specs:

operating system Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600 service pack 3.0
      System Information BIOS version 786G2 v01.09
      processor Intel Pentium III Xeon processor version x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10 current speed 3060 MHz cache size 3072 KB
      memory Maximum capacity 4.00 GB Installed memory 4.00 GB

• 1. Re: Strange error causing doubled-up text and graphics.
          philmodjunk

Don't know off hand but a few questions to collect more information:

What version of filemaker is this?

By "remove the menu bar at the top" do you mean you click the control in the lower left corner of the window to hide the grey staus bar that runs across the window in filemaker 10?

Is this a runtime database?

If not, can you enter layout mode and see what the layout looks like in that mode? (Since a developer is supplying this, I'm guessing you can't.)

• 2. Re: Strange error causing doubled-up text and graphics.
            kleblanc65

What version of filemaker is this?

Filemaker 10

By "remove the menu bar at the top" do you mean you click the control in the lower left corner of the window to hide the grey staus bar that runs across the window in filemaker 10?

Yes that is exactly what I mean.

Is this a runtime database?

I do not know

can you enter layout mode

No I cannot. I am not the developer and he is convinced that it is a windows issue and has stated that he will not go any further in troubleshooting the problem.

• 3. Re: Strange error causing doubled-up text and graphics.
              philmodjunk

I develop in Windows for filemaker and don't see this happen on any of my databases just by hiding the status area.

This is one where you don't really have any options for solving it as neither you nor I have full access to the file. Your developer should take steps to fix this whether it is a  "windows issue" or not.

Of course, since he refuses, you've got a problem, but it's not so much a filemaker problem as it is a business problem. :smileysad:

• 4. Re: Strange error causing doubled-up text and graphics.
                Steve Wright

I have come across something very similar, whether its the same or not is yet to be seen.

Anyway, it turned out to be my video card driver causing the issues.  I had recently installed an updated driver.

I downgraded to earlier version and the problem was fixed. 

In my case, it was an Nvidia GPU.

My suggestion is check for any updates to your current driver, or check if windows has automatically installed a new video card driver.

If so, perhaps revert this to the previous one. 

Basically, try upgrading or downgrading the driver.