12 Replies Latest reply on Apr 23, 2012 11:23 AM by fred@kca-inc.com

Strange IWP graphics issue

fred@kca-inc.com

Title

Strange IWP graphics issue

Good Evening,

I have an app with 2 nearly identical layouts (Goals and Goals_Edit).  They are connected to different TOs, but function identically.  They have a portal with a graphic "status flag" from a linked table.  The graphics on both layouts work perfectly on the desktop and runtime.  When I use IWP, the graphics on the "Goals" layout work great.  The graphics on the "Goals_Edit" layout appear (after zooming way in) as little red X's.  To me, this indicates that the graphic cannot be found by the browser (but I've been wrong before :).

I realize that this is way too little information to solve this mystery, but what I'm looking for are some suggestions on how to troubleshoot the issue.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Fred

• 1. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
          philmodjunk

Are the graphics stored in container fields? Are they stored with the "store a reference" option?

Where they inserted directly on the layout with the store a reference option?

What version of FileMaker are you using?

• 2. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
            fred@kca-inc.com

Good Morning Phil,

Thanks for the quick response.  The graphics are stored in a container field in a table called "Status_Flags".  They were all stored directly using the "Insert Picture" command WITHOUT the "Store only a reference to the file" checked.  They are displayed in a field in a portal directly from a TO tied to the "Status_Flags" table.

This same exact scenario works perfectly in the "Goals" layout but not the "Goals Edit" layout.  Very confusing to an old mind :)

Although I have the FMP12 upgrade, I am still using FMP11 Advanced for this project.

Any ideas for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Fred

• 3. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
              philmodjunk

Not sure why that would fail then. There is a known bug for FileMaker 10 that might explain this, but it's supposed to have been fixed with the release of Filemaker 11.

• 4. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
                fred@kca-inc.com

I just migrated the app to FMP12 and tried the IWP.  Same issue.  I have attached a screen shot of the problem layout.  I will send the screen shot of the virtually identical layout that works in the next post.

How would you go about troubleshooting this type of issue?

Thanks

Fred

• 5. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
                  fred@kca-inc.com

FYI, this forum seems to be very slow in response today.

I just tried this in FMP12.  Same issue.

Here is the screen shot of the problem layout in IWP.  I'll send the screen shot of the virtually identical layout that is functioning properly in the next post.

How would you go about troubleshooting this type of issue?

• 6. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
                    philmodjunk

Are you uploading screen shots with the correct file type? Only jpg, gif or png files may be uploaded. The system will accept other uploads but they won't show here in the forum.

I really have nothing else to suggest for you at this point.

• 7. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
                      Sorbsbuster

What happens if you duplicate the layout that works, and change the new layout's Base TO to be the correct TO?  Does it fail to draw correctly then?

Are there many differences between the two layouts? - ie: would it be feasible (if the previous test works) to then re-do the differences to make it the Goal_Edit layout you want?

• 8. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
                        fred@kca-inc.com

They are 300K JPEG files.  The website is timing out when I try to send them.  It's WAY SLOW today for some reason.

• 9. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
                          Sorbsbuster

Maybe you could take it that we believe you, so don't worry about posting images that show screenshots with an 'x' in a box...?

• 10. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
                            fred@kca-inc.com

Thanks for believing me :)

Good suggestion.  I tried duplicating the "Goals" layout then changing the references to the "Goals_Edit" TOs.  Still no graphics.  I guess that tells me that it's not seeing the Status_Flags from just the Goals_Edit TOs and only on the IWP client.  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  I'll go back again and look at the database relationships and compare the two sets.

Please forward any other ideas.

• 11. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
                              philmodjunk

Uploads of your relationships graph and the layout while in layout mode may provide a clue. FWIW, I've uploaded several screen shots from FireFox today without any trouble. Thus, the issue may not be the forum web site but your internet connection. (Or I was just lucky...Wink)

• 12. Re: Strange IWP graphics issue
                                fred@kca-inc.com

Just to close out this thread.  I woke up in the middle of the night and said "I think I know what may be causing this problem".  I hope this makes sense:

In the "Goals" layout, the "Goals" table is linked to the "Notes" table which is linked to the "Status Flags" table.  The portal was based on (show related records from) the "Goals" table.  Everything worked fine.

In the "Goals_Edit" layout, the "Notes" table is linked to both the "Goals" table and the "Status Flags" table.  The portal was based on the "Goals" table.  This worked fine in the desktop client, but IWP.  I changed the portal to be based on the "Notes" table and now both clients work properly.  Strange.

Thanks for all of the good ideas!