5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2011 8:17 AM by AndrewAngell

Strange problem with runtime solution that I've never had before...???

AndrewAngell

Title

Strange problem with runtime solution that I've never had before...???

I've got a FM solution that I've been developing over the past few years.  I wrap it up into a runtime and I distribute it to both Windows and Mac users, which has always worked great for me.  I've released a few updated versions of the software and I've got people on all versions of Windows (98, XP, Vista, 7) using it without any problems.

On Windows I always create the runtime solution and then I would use InstallShield to create an actual installer.  Always worked great before (and the previous version still installs just fine.)

I noticed that after installing the software now with my latest release, the first time I open it up when I'm asked to change my password I end up with an error message that the file cannot be modified.  I'm forced to go into my /Program Files/software_name/ folder and manually add modify rights to the Users account on the machine.  Then it works fine.

At first, I thought it was InstallShield giving me issues but then I realized that even if I wrap the runtime files into a zip file and extract to Program Files it looses the Modify rights on the Users account.  Then I even applied the modify rights to the software folder on my desktop, then copied and pasted into Program Files, and it lost the rights again.

So then I'm thinking, ok, that must be a Windows 7 thing or something, however, the previous version of the same FM solution that was wrapped in a runtime never had this problem on Windows 7 or any other version.

The ONLY thing I can think of that's different is that I'm using FileMaker Pro 11 now instead of 9 or 10 like I was when I did this previously with the same solution.  Is there anything that changed in FM11 that would cause runtimes to act this way on Windows?  I just can't think of what would be causing this and it's driving me crazy. 

Any information on what could be causing this and possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Strange problem with runtime solution that I've never had before...???
          AndrewAngell

Does anybody have any ideas at all for me on this?  I'm still having the same problem and I simply cannot by it.  What's even more strange is that the same installer seems to do this for some people and not for others.  Again, though, I never had this problem prior to my own version 3.4 of my runtime.  The only thing different between now and when I did 3.3 is that I'm using FM11 instead of FM10 and I'm on a Windows domain here at the office now.  I did try to redo everything in a Virtual Machine, though, that was NOT attached to my network domain controller and I still can't get around the problem. 

It's a big issue.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

• 2. Re: Strange problem with runtime solution that I've never had before...???
            KimZ

Hi Andrew.

Did you ever resolve this ?

I am having a similar problem. The runtime (fmp11) works fine. When I package it using installshield, everything loads perfectly - icons, shortcuts, program opens and looks perfect. Try create a new record or modify a field, and it says "this action cannot be performed because the field is not modifyable".

I have tried set it up as Single executable, zip, CR rom and single MSI - all with the same result - it loads but wont allow modification.

I get the same response if I save the runtime to a disk and open the runtime from the disk - while that is almost  understandable because it is trying to save the modified contents of the field back to the disk. (I tried the same thin using a flash as the "disk" - all worked fine. )

Any bright ideas ?

Kim Wood

• 3. Re: Strange problem with runtime solution that I've never had before...???
              AndrewAngell

Unfortunately, no.  Nobody at FileMaker seems to care.  I've posted here with no response and the phone techs blow the situation off, too.

Ever since I started using FM11 this permissions issue happens on some, but not all, Windows machines.  It's easy to fix by simply adding the "modify" right to the Users account on the machine, but it's a hassle to have to do that and it's obviously something that changed between FM10 and FM11. 

This happens whether I use an Installer of some sort or simply have the user extract a zip file to their /Program Files directory.  If you have them install to some other directory it's generally not an issue, but then that doesn't follow the standard of having all of your software in /program files. 

I've also noticed that my runtimes no longer run on PPC Macs since using FM11.  Works great on Intel Macs but all of my PPC users are foced to use an old version of my software because my latest versions created in FM11 won't run for them.

Again, I can't get any response at all from FileMaker about any of this.

• 4. Re: Strange problem with runtime solution that I've never had before...???
                MikeM.1518

I think I know the solution to this. It's not really a FileMaker issue, but rather an issue related to Windows. Windows changed things and since Vista was released, and it "locks down" the Program Files folder for security purposes with limited permissions allowed on changing files inside this folder. (This will happen for Vista and Windows 7 users.) 

Thus, if you want to create a runtime that works with Windows, your users will need to install this into the Documents folder and NOT into the Program Files folder.

If you automatically install files into various folders for your users with InstallShield, then simply be sure to NOT to install the application into the Program Files folder. I know it sounds weird, but again, install it into the "Documents" (formally "My Documents" from XP, etc.) and you should not have this issue.

• 5. Re: Strange problem with runtime solution that I've never had before...???
                  AndrewAngell

Hi Mike,

I appreciate your response.  Unfortunately, that is not a solution, that is a work-around.  As I mentioned before, installing anywhere other than /Program Files goes against the standard of keeping all your software there.  Also, when you install to documents every user is forced to install the same software and you wind up with multiple instances of the same thing on the same machine.

On top of that, this is NOT a Windows issue.  FileMaker keeps trying to blame that, too, however, I can create a runtime on Windows 7 with FM10 and this problem does NOT happen.  It only happens on FM11.

If you look at the files that end up in your runtime solution when you make one in FM10 and FM11 you'll notice quite a few differences, too.  They've obviously made some changes to how runtimes work.  In fact, when they first launched FM11 they had to release a bug fix not long after that because they changed a bunch of the Windows runtime files and had broken them.  That's been fixed with the latest update to FM11 (v3) but the permissions issue still exists.  Same with the fact that it no longer runs on PPC Macs.

So believe me, I understand situations like th is are generally permissions issues with the operating system, and in a way it still is becuase I can easily fix it by adjusting the permissions manually.  The fact remains, though, that this does NOT happen on the same Windows machine when using anything prior to FM11 to create the runtime.  FM11 is the only one that does this.