5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 2, 2009 8:52 AM by TSGal

Strange script behavior, insert text, insert calc result, go to field, problems

ErichWetzel

Title

Strange script behavior, insert text, insert calc result, go to field, problems

Mac OS 10.5.5 

Database hosted on FMSA 9

Users on FMP10

All fields in question can be entered in Find mode. 

Script enters find mode and restores find.

Asks question about what to do next

Based on user selection, goes to field, inserts text or other similar behavior to complete find selections

Perform find

With FMP10 the text to added in the field does not occur or entry to proper field is not done as expected. 

Example:

When testing, I put in pauses to find if steps are being done

After a step of Goto field (field ; select on ; go to target field on )

At the user controlled pause of the next step, does not show selection or entry into proper field.

It will "go to next field" and eventually make entry that way though.  The problem is that this requires several steps when going directly to the appropriate field would be better.

Same problem with the "insert" script steps.  The steps are simply not being performed for some reason. 

Ideas? 

• 1. Re: Strange script behavior, insert text, insert calc result, go to field, problems
          ErichWetzel

Simpler test.

Script is Goto Field (date ; select)

Results in entry in a field called "completed items" rather than the field "date"

• 2. Re: Strange script behavior, insert text, insert calc result, go to field, problems
            ErichWetzel

Further test

Move to different Layout which contains same fields script is attempting to reach and entries take place correctly.

There is nothing unusual about the layout being worked in. 

• 3. Re: Strange script behavior, insert text, insert calc result, go to field, problems
              TSGal

ErichWetzel:

Thank you for your post.

Without seeing your file, it is a bit hard to determine the cause.

Since it works on one layout but not another, it is possible the original layout is corrupt.

An outside possibility is that you have the date field behind the completed items field, so it appears it is selecting the completed items field.  Just to be sure, move the completed items field out of the way to see if there is anything behind it.

Any additional information you can provide would be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: Strange script behavior, insert text, insert calc result, go to field, problems
                ErichWetzel

I am inclined to think it is corruption of the layout.  This layout has been around since the database was originally written in 1994 and has suffered through all of the updates and a litany of changes we have made to it since then.

Beyond that there is little to consider.  There are no hidden or layered fields.  The date and completed items fields are nowhere near each other. The completed items field is a check box field and the first check box is selected by the script when the date field is requested.  There is no question which field has been selected.  All fields are able to be entered via tabbing.  Most of this layout is buttons to go elsewhere.  There is no unusual or custom programming on the layout.

Thanks for the time and thought, I think its probably time to rebuild the layout.  With all of this in mind, any suggestions for avoiding this type of corruption?

I'll stick with corruption.  Just did the following:  Cut the completed items field, saved the layout, pasted the completed items field back into place, saved the layout.  Now everything works. 

-Erich 

• 5. Re: Strange script behavior, insert text, insert calc result, go to field, problems
                  TSGal

ErichWetzel:

First, I'm glad it is now working.

No, I don't have any suggestions for avoiding this type of corruption, because I don't know when this corruption occurred?  Even if you were able to narrow down the time frame, do you remember what you were doing at the time?  Sometimes it is memory related; sometimes other applications are interfering with FileMaker Pro; sometimes it is disk related...  There are too many factors to determine possible causes.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.