2 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2010 1:08 PM by Longacre

Strange things are happening..,

Longacre

Title

Strange things are happening..,

I work on Filemaker Pro 8 on a Mac.  I am only responsible for the data entry so I know very little about the program beyond that.  So, here's my problem:  I was entering in contacts as usual and went to "find" to locate one I had recently entered (in the same session).  Filemaker responds as if it finds a record, but the record comes up completely blank.  It acts like there is information in the fields, but won't let me edit the fields.  There were no changes made to the formatting, that I know of.  When I switch to the spreadsheet format, blank cells appear as if that record is there, but I am unable to see or access those fields.  Now I can't enter any new records.  THis happens every time.  Any advice?

Our  Filemaker is not on a network.  I work straight from the hard drive.  Others use the database to search for information, but I am the only one to enter data.  

Help?  Please keep questions and comments to their most base level--I'm not very technical.

• 1. Re: Strange things are happening..,
          ninja

Howdy Longacre,

There are several layers of access privileges available in FMP that would be controlled by your dbase adminstrator.  Your first stop would be to check with him/her to verify if a problem exists or not.  The things you are seeing may be that way intentionally for a data entry function.

If the dbase administrator sees a problem with this, they would have to address it with thier level of access privileges.  There is likely nothing you can do with a data entry level of privilege (assumption on my part).

• 2. Re: Strange things are happening..,
            Longacre

Thanks, Ninja.  Your comments sparked a memory of something the boss did.  He's following up on that.  Hopefully that will fix our little problem.