3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2010 4:59 PM by philmodjunk

Streamlining FileMaker Online Process

carlrobison

Title

Streamlining FileMaker Online Process

First of all, let me say I'm brand new to FileMaker so I apologize for my lack of knowledge and if this is not posted in the right forum, please let me know.

I just started working for a company where I visit remote sites, I document my findings on a checklist (paper and pencil), then when I get home I go to my company's web site, access FileMaker and input all my findings.  It seems to me there's got to be a better way to do this.  Each report takes me about a half hour to complete.  I do take my laptop with me on these visits but I don't have internet access to directly input the information on to the website.  Besides, the FileMaker online is pretty slow.  I DO have FileMaker pro on the laptop so I don't know if there's any way to get that template (if that's the right word) loaded locally on my computer, use FileMaker Pro to input the information while I'm at the site, and then some how sync it later when I have internet access.  I was also thinking of creating an excel spreadsheet and inputing the data onsite, then copying and pasting when I get home.  But this seems like it would almost be just as much work as I'm doing now.

Anyway, I hope this all makes sense and thanks in advance for your help!

• 1. Re: Streamlining FileMaker Online Process
          philmodjunk

It is possible to collect data in a local filemaker file and then import the data into the main file if you can get access more directly than through your web browser.

This works well if you are only creating new records to be added to the main file. If you are modifying existing data, things can get very messy very fast if two or more users might by even the slightest chance be updating the same file and the complications grow geometrically with the number of users who might do this on separate copies of the data.

• 2. Re: Streamlining FileMaker Online Process
            carlrobison

Thanks for your answer.  I will only be creating new records, not modifying existing files so I don't have to worry about that.  And no one else would be updating the files while I'm inputing the data.

I didn't quite understand what you meant by "if you can get access more directly than through your web browser."  If you mean is there a way I can get access other than through the internet, I don't think so. I'm on the east coast and the company is on the west coast so the only way (that I know of) is to do it online.  I hope that makes sense and thanks again for your help!

• 3. Re: Streamlining FileMaker Online Process
              philmodjunk

Not using a browser was what I had in mind. If your IT folks set it up. It may be possible to access your database remotely via a WAN setup much like you would over a local area network. If you can open the file via OPen Remote. It would make such an import much easier.