1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 16, 2014 12:44 AM by Sorbsbuster

Structural design - Synchronisation model - container storage

mchancevet@gmail.com

Title

Structural design - Synchronisation model - container storage

Hello,

This post may be appropriate for the Pro, Go and/or Server forums. I want to access some guidance for planning a multiplatform server hosted solution with intermittent offline files (FM GO) which I plan to synchronise with the server when available. The solution will contain images in container fields which I plan to store external to the server hosted file (using the external storage options for the container fields). The mobile elements will be required to display a subset of the images even when offline.

Some Context - the completed solution is intended to manage  text data and images, files, pdfs relating to large numbers of animal species/individuals for research purposes. The mobile solution is intended for data entry of field collection of animals and would have a single image per species.

Clearly if my Go file is trying to display an externally located server hosted image whilst offline I am scheduled for disappointment. So I need a script or other process or design that will enable the Go file to extract and retain the image files and store them in the FM Go file.

Any thoughts and advice for planning this out would be appreciated,

Morgan 

• 1. Re: Structural design - Synchronisation model - container storage
          Sorbsbuster

My cynical side says 'prepare yourself for disappointment even if you are connected'.  My experience says that FM Inc is carried away with their own PR suggesting that everything 'just works' between FM Client and Go.  You'll see lots of snazzy marketing shots of an iPad showing product images in a catalogue, for example, or a Field Engineer taking shots and loading them into a database.  Yeah... not quite as simple it looks.
          The first thing I would suggest you tackle is getting images linked by reference in any FM Go file.  (Embed the images in a file and its size will explode.) Then figure out where those images can be linked from.  Then figure out a way to synchronise those images (outside of Filemaker, presumably) with the originals.  In other words, so far nothing at all to do with Filemaker.  We set up something similar with FMGo + Vs11 and were very disappointed to see how limited were the locations that any app on the iPad can access.  I haven't tried the 'External Storage' function in Vs13 yet, but I can't immediately see how that would solve the fundamental limitations of the iPad.  (You could avoid some of those limitations by simply using a laptop or Windows tablet, of course.)
          The temptingly perfect solution, I believe, would be to store the images in Dropbox and have the Client file reference them there, then have the iPad link to the same Dropbox, and there you are.  However our frustrating experience, from memory, was that the iPad can link to very little else, including a Dropbox folder, although using the Dropbox folder as the conduit between the 'server' images and the iPad's images would probably have been the most likely solution.