1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 8:36 AM by TSGal

Structure Suggestions for a dictionary Data Base.

justinkwithj

Title

Structure Suggestions for a dictionary Data Base.

Hi, I am a newbie so sorry if these questions are very basic, I'd just like to get an opinion or two before I start using my data base (don't wan't to have to start over from scratch).  I am learning a dialect of of Arabic and I would like to use FMP to track the vocabulary that I'm learning to make a personal dictionary.

First, each vocabulary entry will need to be classified as a part of speech (Noun, Verb, Adjective).  Then, based on the part of speech, the entry will have either 2 or 3 separate fields for each variation of the word.  For example a Verb will have 2 variations (the root verb and the present tense conjugation) while an Adjective will have 3 variations.  The entries in the dictionary will also need to be sorted by the the primary word variation.  How can I setup the database so that when I choose the part of speech the appropriate number variation fields appear?  Should I put all of the Nouns, Verbs, and Adjectives together in the same table?  Or should I Put each of them in their respective tables and then link them together using a main table the connects to all of them.

• 1. Re: Structure Suggestions for a dictionary Data Base.
          TSGal

justinkwithj:

Thank you for your post.

There are many ways to accomplish this.  However, since you are a newbie, I would suggest starting slowly and get to know the inner workings of FileMaker Pro.  Therefore, I would create a field for the part of speech, and then have three separate fields for each variation of the word.  If you use a verb, you would only use the first two variation fields, while if you use an adjective, all three variation fields would be used.

Pull down the View menu and select "Layout Mode".  If you double-click on the part of speech field, you set the field to be a Pop-up or Drop down with a set of values.  Create a Value List with the values "Noun", "Verb", and "Adjective".  Return to Browse Mode (from the View menu) and when you select the part of speech field, you either get a Pop-up menu or a drop down menu with the three values.  This will help in staying consistent with your entries, and you don't have to type it in each time.  Select the correct part of speech and move to the next field.

Pull down the View menu and select "Find Mode".  Select the pop-up/drop down part of speech field, and you can search for all Nouns, verbs, or Adjectives.

Once you understand these concepts, then your next step is to look at relating a table to another table - one of the key components of a relational database system.  I would rather not go into it at this time...

Let me know if you need clarification for any of the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.