AnsweredAssumed Answered

Structure Suggestions for a dictionary Data Base.

Question asked by justinkwithj on Sep 27, 2009
Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 by TSGal

Title

Structure Suggestions for a dictionary Data Base.

Hi, I am a newbie so sorry if these questions are very basic, I'd just like to get an opinion or two before I start using my data base (don't wan't to have to start over from scratch).  I am learning a dialect of of Arabic and I would like to use FMP to track the vocabulary that I'm learning to make a personal dictionary.

First, each vocabulary entry will need to be classified as a part of speech (Noun, Verb, Adjective).  Then, based on the part of speech, the entry will have either 2 or 3 separate fields for each variation of the word.  For example a Verb will have 2 variations (the root verb and the present tense conjugation) while an Adjective will have 3 variations.  The entries in the dictionary will also need to be sorted by the the primary word variation.  How can I setup the database so that when I choose the part of speech the appropriate number variation fields appear?  Should I put all of the Nouns, Verbs, and Adjectives together in the same table?  Or should I Put each of them in their respective tables and then link them together using a main table the connects to all of them.

Outcomes