5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2015 4:50 PM by philmodjunk

Stuck on FileMarker Training Series: Basic,  making portals

PaulHuffman

Title

Stuck on FileMarker Training Series: Basic,  making portals

I have FM Pro 13 and I'm working through a tutorial at http://info2.filemaker.com/rs/filemaker1/images/fts13_basics_EN.pdf http://info2.filemaker.com/rs/filemaker1/images/fts13_basics_EN.pdf  Can't figure out what I did wrong in activity 11.1, p. 146.  I see only one record in the portal when there should be all the Assets records for the Customer because of the one to many relationship I set up with Customer table and Assets table. 

CapLayout.JPG

• 1. Re: Stuck on FileMarker Training Series: Basic,  making portals
          philmodjunk

Enter Layout mode. Drag the portal a few pixels. Do the fields move with the portal? If not, that's your problem. drag the fields out of the portal, release the mouse button. Then drag them back. Be careful not to release the mouse button until the fields are fully inside the boundaries of the top portal row.

Other problems could also be in play here. Copy the customer ID to your clip board. Go to a layout based on assets, enter find mode and paste that Customer ID from the clip board into the assets::Customer ID field. If you find only one record, then your portal is working perfectly, the reason that your records don't show in the portal is that there are no other records in Assets that link to the current record on your Customer Details layout.

• 2. Re: Stuck on FileMarker Training Series: Basic,  making portals
            PaulHuffman

It wasn't clear to me that they went into the white area of the Portal in the Layout.  I thought the white area was for the labels, but then in browse mode, the labels and data were on top of each other, so I moved the items down, looked again in browse, that wasn't good so I moved the labels out of the box, then only the first matching record in assets was showing. Then tried making the field box longer, but that didn't do it.  But making the field box one line tall and moving them to the white area of the Portal layout box makes the database one to many work as it's supposed to. 

Maybe I'll delete the Portal and try this over to see how the Add Fields to Portal works automatically. 

• 3. Re: Stuck on FileMarker Training Series: Basic,  making portals
              philmodjunk

You can make the portal row larger--even rearrange things so that your portal is more of a "mini-form" than a "mini table". But in Layout mode, the fields have to be within the boundaries of that first portal row and the portal has to "own" them. That's what you are testing for when you drag the portal around a bit to see if the objects inside your portal row move with them. The field labels can be either placed inside or outside of the portal as they do not display data from a record.

• 4. Re: Stuck on FileMarker Training Series: Basic,  making portals
                PaulHuffman

But now I can't figure out how to change the Portal style back to Minimal Edit Box, as described on p. 146.  At the Inspector style tab when I hit show all,  I can find  "Minimal Edit Box" under Edit Box, but my only choices that are not greyed out are Rename Style or Delete Style. 

• 5. Re: Stuck on FileMarker Training Series: Basic,  making portals
                  philmodjunk

What change are you expecting to see? Seems pretty minimal to me.