12 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2013 1:14 PM by philmodjunk

Stumped

jb362

Title

Stumped

I have a layout which displays the contents of a table field (Park4::Park Name) in Browse mode but not in Preview.

Other fields from the same table (Park4::Phone & Park4::Address Line 1)  show up on the layout in either mode.

Your insight would be appreciated.

Jerry

• 1. Re: Stumped
          schamblee

It appears that you have the Hide when printing checked on the Park4::Park Name.  On the inspector under the position tab, at the bottom under Oject visibility be sure that Hide when printing is not checked.

• 2. Re: Stumped
            jb362

I just verified that the The Hide When Printing checkbox is not checked.

• 3. Re: Stumped
              schamblee

If the field is touching two different body parts, such as the header and the body, the field will also disappear. Make sure the field is touching one body part. Test by moving.

• 4. Re: Stumped
                jb362

Just for grins I copied the address field, which was displaying as expected, pasted it to another area of the layout and then changed the the copied field to Park Name but left the original Park Name field intact.

Well of course it worked!

Using the Inspector I couldn't find one difference between the attributes of Park Name or Address Line 1.

Go figure!

• 5. Re: Stumped
                  jb362

Upon further inspection I discovered that when I had the top of the Park Name field set to Zero the field does not show up in Preview mode.

When I changed the top to 1 point, Park Name displays in Preview mode.

I've learned that a field can't be toughing more than on part but seems odd to me that a field can't be touching the top of the layout and display in Preview mode, but I'm only a hobbyist.

• 6. Re: Stumped
                    jb362

Another point which I forgot to mention earlier is the layout contains only a body part which may be the reason for the behavior.

• 7. Re: Stumped
                      philmodjunk

What version of FileMaker are you using? I'd like to try to replicate this behavior.

• 8. Re: Stumped
                        jb362

Phil:

I'm using FMP 12 Advanced.

• 9. Re: Stumped
                          philmodjunk

Hmmm, just to rule out some possible issues. Go to this layout, enter layout mode and open "part setup...". See if a Header or other part is listed before the body layout part. Perhaps that part is present on your layout but only one pixel tall and thus not obviously visible when you look at the layout...

• 10. Re: Stumped
                            philmodjunk

And two more questions:

What Operating system and version of OS are you using?

What thems is selected for your layout?

• 11. Re: Stumped
                              jb362

You were right!

A 1 pixel header was present.

I guess when I slid the base line, if that is what its called, I didn't collapse the header so as to cause it to be deleted, i.e., a height of zero.

I don't use themes.

• 12. Re: Stumped
                                philmodjunk

Every layout in FileMaker 12 uses a theme. That may be "classic" but it is still a theme.

To delete a layout part, click it's label and press the delete key or use part setup... to delete it.

But given the discovery of that 1 pixel tall header, I don't think we have to pursue this any further.