7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2010 12:42 PM by philmodjunk

Stumped ( email help )

sly_1

Title

Stumped ( email help )

Hello Everyone,

I need a little help with an email issue

i have 4 different letters that need to be sent out. 1st reminder, 2nd reminder 3rd and 4th

i have it set this way on my layout.

to: whoever

bcc myself

subject = drop down of 1st 2nd 3rd 4th

message = im stumped.

for the message i would like to choose one the the 4 letter templates and edit as needed.

just not sure how to do this part

any help would be great

Sly

• 1. Re: Stumped ( email help )
          philmodjunk

Use a field with a drop down to select the message template. Then setup the Message field to either lookup the template text from a related table (linked by your drop down field) or to use an auto-entered calculation to enter the template text specified by the drop down field.

Either way the template text can then be edited by you to customize the message body as needed.

Such an Auto-entered calculation can even include date from the current or related records to help personnalize the message before you even start to edit it.

• 2. Re: Stumped ( email help )
            sly_1

how would i do this,

setup the Message field to either lookup the template text from a related table (linked by your drop down field) or to use an auto-entered calculation to enter the template text specified by the drop down field.

thanks phil 

• 3. Re: Stumped ( email help )
              philmodjunk

Simplest and most flexible is store the templates in a related table:

Define a table where each template is present in a text field, in separate records. Use a Second "template title" field to identify each template record.

Define a relationship:

YourEmailTable::TemplateType = EmailTemplates::TemplateTitle

Set your message text field up with the Looked up value field option to look up the template text from EmailTemplates.

Put YourEmailTable::TemplateType on your layout and format it with a value list of possible Template Titles. When you select a template, it will automatically appear in your message field and you can then edit the template to customize it.

If you want to include data from the current record or records related to it, you can use the calculation option instead of the Looked up value option.

If, for example, your template includes this text:   Dear <SALUTATION>,

The auto-enter calculation can use this expression:  

Substitute ( EmailTemplates::Message ; "<SALUTATION>" ; YourEmailTable::Salutation )

to replace <SALUTATION>  to produce something like: Dear Mr. Smith,

(If you look up Subsitute in FileMaker help, you'll see there's a way to use [] to make multiple subsitutions of different tags in a single use of the funciton.)

The result you get is customized text that you can still edit to customize even further if necessary.

• 4. Re: Stumped ( email help )
                sly_1

the email table im using is called remiders

*to

*bcc

*subject

i made another table called email templates

*template1

*template2

*template3

*template4

reminders and email templates are in relatioship with message

im still not getting this

thanks for all the help

• 5. Re: Stumped ( email help )
                  philmodjunk

Why do you have four fields labeled "Template1, Template2, .... Template4" ?

You need just one field in place of these four to uniquely identify each message template which is stored in the message field of separate records for each template.

• 6. Re: Stumped ( email help )
                    sly_1

ok i have it working somewhat,

template table

*template message

*template Number

tmplatenumber is related to message field

i select whatever number an it work it gives me the proper template.

but it keeps creating records in the template table ( is it suposed to)

also if i select the wrong template number i then cannot change it i have to create a whole new record.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Stumped ( email help )
                      philmodjunk

It sounds like you have added the message field from the template table instead of the message field defined in your email table that looks up the text in the message field of the template table. And I think you've clicked the "allow creation of records via this relationship" option when you shouldn't also. Wink