1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 21, 2008 7:08 AM by TSGal

Stumped with foreign keys

msoule12

Title

Stumped with foreign keys

I have primary keys linked to foreign keys, but the foreign keys don't show up in the related tables. Also, I'm doing a database of software inventory. I have the vendors, software, employee, and assignment tables working fine. But, when I want to do a portal of all employees who have a certain kind of software, I can't get that to work. I can choose the software for the employees, but can't list the software assigned to employees sorted by vendor. Help!! I wish I could attach the database to this message because I know its something really simple I'm missing.

Martha

• 1. Re: Stumped with foreign keys
          TSGal

msoule12:

Thank you for your post.

I'm a little confused.  If your primary keys are linked to your foreign keys, "but the foreign keys don't show up in the related tables", does that mean the foreign keys are not present?  Does that mean the foreign keys are there but they don't match?  Is the foreign key field unavailable for display?

Somewhere in your "Software" table, you need a key that links to the "Employee" table.  Is the key field a "Software" ID or "Employee" ID?  That is, how are you linking the software to the employee?  If you are in the Employee database and viewing the software, you should be able to sort each portal by the software vendor.

Any additional information would make this easier to understand.  If you want to send in your database file, I am happy to look at it.  I have sent you a private message (top of this page - right side - X Messages) with instructions where to send the file.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.