6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2013 6:18 AM by zaza

Styling text with bullet points

zaza

Title

Styling text with bullet points

Hi

I am trying to setup a field so that when text is added each line automatically starts with a bullet point. I have been able to get some success with the following calculation:

Substitute ( Substitute ( Substitute (Feature ; "¶" ;  TextFont (TextSize ( "¶l    "; 7); "Wingdings") ); "  "; " "); "  "; " ")

Result:

Cat

Dog

Mouse

[# represents bullet symbol]

However, if I go back and edit the text in that field I get double bullets appearing.eg.

#  #  Cat

#  #  Dog

#  #  Mouse

If I try to remove the extra bullet it just gets worse - 3 bullets appear!

Any adivce? How can I edit bulleted text without extra bullets appearing?

• 1. Re: Styling text with bullet points
          philmodjunk

Don't see any reason for the outer substitute function calls as it appears that they replace a space with a space...

Modify your calculation to remove all bullet characters before doing the substitute to replace returns with the "ReturnBullet" text.

And you can use the [ ] syntax instead of nesting calls to substitute.:

Substitute (Feature ;  ["l   " ; ""  ] ;   [ TextFont (TextSize ( "¶l    "; 7); "Wingdings") ] )

• 2. Re: Styling text with bullet points
            zaza

Hi

Thanks for the suggestion - just tried it but getting error message : 'too few parameters in this function'

What am I missing?

• 3. Re: Styling text with bullet points
              philmodjunk

I'm missing a parameter in what I suggested:

Substitute ( "Feature" ;  ["l   " ; ""  ] ;   [ ¶ ; TextFont (TextSize ( "¶l    "; 7); "Wingdings") ] )

• 4. Re: Styling text with bullet points
                zaza

I'm afraid your revision still is not working - no bullets are added.

Basically I want to paste in or write text in the field so when field is committed/exited I want each paragraph to be preceded by a bullet and tab. but not to add further bullets/tabs when later amendments are made.

I used " ¶" so I could use find and replace script but I suspect this is causing the double bullets?

¶   to become/reformat as:

# [tab] xxxxxxx

# [tab] xxxxxxx

• 5. Re: Styling text with bullet points
                  philmodjunk

I played around with this in my Data Viewer feeding different text to the calculation. To keep the expression simple, I used a # instead of the bullet character. I was always a bit surpriesed that you weren't having an issue with the very first item on your list not getting a bullet. The following fixes that issue as well as inserts # where needed without doubling them if one is already there:

Let ( [ t =  Substitute ( YourFieldHere ; "#" & Char ( 9 ) ; "" ) ; // all existing bullet-tab character pairs are removed here
                                  t1 =  Substitute ( ¶ & t ; ¶ ; "¶#" & Char ( 9 ) ) ] ; // a leading return is added so that all items have a return in front and then bullet-tabs added
                                  Right ( t1 ; Length ( t1 ) - 1 ) // leading return is removed from text.
                              )

You would subsitute each use of # with the expression you'd need to put the bullet character from wingdings in place.

• 6. Re: Styling text with bullet points
                    zaza

A great big thank you - fantastic! It works!

Months of frustration finally ended!

I adapted your calculation as follows:

Let ( [ t =  Substitute ( MyField; "l" & Char ( 9 ) ; "" ) ;
                                    t1 =  Substitute ( ¶ & t ; ¶ ;  TextFont (TextSize ( "¶l" & Char ( 9 ); 7); "Wingdings") ) ] ;
                                    Right ( t1 ; Length ( t1 ) - 1 )
                                )

smiley